Are Grado's next for me? What else?
Mar 17, 2004 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it's time to try to find something else again after letting the 595's go. The Sr-325 are superior to the 225's or vice versa? I remember a post awhile back where a majority of people preferred the 225's over the 325's. They look pretty portable and I like the looks of them. I've read that Grado's are rock cans, how are they for jazz, r&b, alternative, movies? Can anyone compare them with the hd650's, since this seems to be my reference headphones.

This is so hard, I tell you. The search for true satisfying pleasure, where you can be content. The 650's have me spoiled and I don't want anything that sounds inferior to them. Only equal to or greater. That's what makes it harder.
The last link in my setup is my portable can. To think, I was actually debating on the RS-1's
eek.gif
I don't think I can bring myself to it, well I could, but it wouldn't be smart since they would not be properly amped from a Pimeta
tongue.gif
. I really want some K1000's, but if I bought those I would be losing focus of the primary function of this set of cans, not to mention having to rebuild my whole setup (amps, source, blah blah). To be honest I was happiest with the cd3k's in this headphone place. If I see a good deal on a used set of cd3k's, RS-1(yeah right
tongue.gif
) , or K1000's they are mine
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:20 AM Post #2 of 13
While it might not be on HD 650 level, I'd nevertheless recommend the Beyerdynamic DT440 - it sounds really nice to me and should be more than good enough for portable use... Seems pretty sturdy, as well...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 13
if you like the senns, you might not like the grados. how about the etys? they're great, both amped (4s) and unamped (4p), are portable, and work well with a variety of sources (i'm listening right now out of a technics pcdp->cmoy).

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
While it might not be on HD 650 level, I'd nevertheless recommend the Beyerdynamic DT440 - it sounds really nice to me and should be more than good enough for portable use... Seems pretty sturdy, as well...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

How would you compare those with the 595's? Do you prefer the 440's over the k240s or dt531?
Please share any characteristics you can.
Thanks Lini

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
if you like the senns, you might not like the grados. how about the etys? they're great, both amped (4s) and unamped (4p), are portable, and work well with a variety of sources (i'm listening right now out of a technics pcdp->cmoy).

I owned the e2's and I just don't like canal phones too much.

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #6 of 13
the 650s are listed in your profile but not your signature. if you don't own them but consider them your 'reference,' i'd buy them. if you already have them and are satisfied enough to refer to them as a reference, you'll have to specify what you want to improve upon to get good recommendations.

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 13
They are in my signature under my home setup.
My portable rig is what I'm shopping for now.
I was reading Todd's mini reviews and see he said the SR225's and SR325's are fatiguing, but the RS2's are more relaxed and 90% of the sound of the Rs-1's. What exactly is the characteristics of the grado sound signature? How would they do with a Pimeta (for now)
redface.gif

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 13
i misread your signature, sorry. grados are okay for portable if you're okay with open phones, but they don't fold and aren't exactly rugged. i've never heard the 225 called fatiguing, most people consider it more balanced and less bright than the 325. the rs-2, i've read, is crap and nowhere near the rs-1. grados are most often described as forward. i would call them very detailed phones that present what is on a recording without making any attempt to create a false soundstage. neutrality is another aspect. and i think a pimeta is pretty good for a portable amp, it ought to drive grados well.

Mar 17, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Grados signature sound might be expressed as forward, impacting and on-the-stage with very good resolution and overall brightness.

You seems to be hit very hard by upgraditis, so why not try some Grado model. Since you have experiences with high Senns, I would skip lower models and go directly to aluminium alloy/wooden chambers models.

You can try Alessandro MS-2's. I ended up with them after I did very extensive search. More refined and more neutral in comparison to their brother SR-325's, they produce sharp and impacting sound. To decrease the overall brightness you should stay away from bowl pads. Bowls are the main source of kind of "artifical" hights, weak low frequencies and thin sound due to the so called proximity effect. Get the flat pads and the bass is on the normal level plus bigger resolution comes in.

So far I have never heard HP's but I believe the sound of MS-2's is (somehow) similar to them. For $225 + shipping (from a Taiwanese dealer), $300 (from Alessandro website), it's very good choice.

Mar 17, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 13
The MS-2's sound like they could be a winner. I would like a few more comments and reviews on them. Anyone else care to chime in?

Mar 17, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #11 of 13
I preferred the SR225 to the SR325 for the two limited times I A/Bed them. That's mostly because the SR225s less bright nature. Would be interested in a SR225 v. MS2 (and MS1) comparison. It gets asked occasionally, but I've never heard anyone respond.

Mar 17, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Jbroad572
How would you compare those with the 595's?

Less comfy, dorkier looks - but more extended and punchy in the bass, less pronounced midrange and not grainy, maybe even better imaging, equally dynamic, but nevertheless more relaxed in a way... Definitely better in price-performance...

Do you prefer the 440's over the k240s or dt531?[/QUOTE]

Over the K240S, no - but the DT440 comes very close. Probably a matter of taste... The DT440 seems livelier at lower volumes, though, and it also seems less amp dependant... Over the DT531, I don't know yet, because I haven't yet compared both phones directly. The DT531 would definitely win in the comfort department, and it also looks nicer to me. Sonically, I'd expect the DT440 to intrigue me more than the DT531, because the midrange of the DT531 is a bit recessed...

Please share any characteristics you can.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhhmmmm.... How about: "nice cord"? Or maybe: "splendid sparkle in the highs"? Perhaps also: "pretty fine oomph"...

Thanks Lini[/QUOTE]

You're welcome.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 18, 2004 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 13
Ok, well think I'm going with cd780's or K501's or K240s or....
biggrin.gif
Big leap huh? Now I feel like being cheap, but that could chang when I wake up in the AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back