are good PCDP's still being made?
Jul 29, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 9
short answer - nope, not in my opinion

others might disagree

nothing portable that I have found beats a classic pcdp

of course, they're really transportable, rather than portable

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 9
i do not think the d-ej2000 has been available in a couple of years. it's listed as unavailable on the amazon link above.

even the current sony d-ne20 and d--ne920 has not been available in months.

sony does not have a current top of their line pcdp listed on their site at the moment. i noticed this time last year that they did not even have a single minidisc listed on their site for months when they finally released the mz-rh1 in september. i'm counting on sony to release new pcdp's by then. let's hope for i would like a sony pcdp with optical line out meself.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #6 of 9
its like tube televisions, alot of people like the image quality and the colour range of a CRT, but when RCA sold its CRT manufacturing biz, all the CRT tv´s are now manufactured by generic chinese manufacturers, but then again theres the manufacturing process cycle, when a product is introduced its expencive and hard to manufacture, the process has to be fine tuned, the quality varies, when the process ages and theres a large demand for a product, the manufacturing process stabalizes, it becomes cheaper, and theres less variation in quality,

then when its discontinued, it becomes a nich product for nustalgics, it becomes expencive again but the quality does not descrese becuase the process has allready been refined to the maximum, but then again, if a cheap chinese manufacturer uses a dead rat dac for its CD players, then its a economics problem, not a design problem,

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 9
My experience is limited to the Sony D-225CR and D-NE920. The former 'vintage' (at what point does a pcdp stop being vintage?) pcdp sounds better than Sony's current flagship model (D-NE920 is the same thing as the D-NE20 but with a screen) - a thicker, warmer and rounder sound. There is no way you would ever want to use the 225 in any portable situation though. The D-NE920 has ridiculous battery life, it has more juice running redbooks than the 5.5g 80GB ipod playing 64KBps mp3 files.

Jul 30, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 9
The answer is no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back