Are good headphones the chicken and portable headphone amps the egg?
Sep 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dlangendorf

New Head-Fier
To start, just want to say what a great resource this site is how knowledgeable you all are.

I want to ask about quality headphones and portable headphone amps. I currently use Monster Mile Davis Trumpets for in-ear listening. I'd like a tad more bass for non-jazz listening but not at the cost of sacrificing too much mid and high-end quality. I'm thinking about some decent on-ear headphones, or perhaps I should get a decent portable headphone amp like the Fiio E7 first and add bass that way. Or, ultimately, will I need both? I'm mostly listening to FLAC or Apple Lossless files on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Classic. (The Fiio E7 could also be used with a MBP.)

As far as on-ear choices, I've looked at the B&W P5 and P3 and the usual suspects from Sennheiser, Bose, Klipsch, although I don't have access to V-Moda (I like Grado, too, but don't want that much leakage and size). There are good things and bad things about each one. Because I'm stuck in in decision I was wondering if the portable headphone amp might be a good place to start. Or will it really matter with the headphones I'm considering?

(I really like the design of the P5s, although I understand many of the concerns noted here. They sound a tad muffled to my old ears, which is disappointing considering the cost, but would a portable headphone amp possibly improve this?)

Anyway, thanks for reading and considering. Best to all.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 6
In my opinion, the headphone is best if it performs un-aided. Meaning, it should run with uncolored signal. That way you know you're listening to the headphone and not the amp.

Sep 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I think it entirely depends on what you have now.  If you have 'phones you like, but that are a bit more difficult to drive and need a gain boost, then buying an amp first makes sense.

OTOH, I don't think buying bass-boost amps to "fix" a bad sound signature is a good idea.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Mee . . . 

Thanks. What I have now, the headphones I am thinking about, are the Monster Miles Davis Trumpet in-ears, which, to me, have excellent highs and mids and clarity but the bass lacks a little punch -- which is what set me off on the journey in the first place. I'm suspect to add an in-between, like the Fiio E7, unless I absolutely need to. The iPhone, iPad, and MBP certainly have enough power to drive the Trumpets, so a portable amp isn't completely necessary. I just decided to try a pair of P5s and compare. I'll get the bass response, maybe even a little warmth, I just don't want to lose the high ends or clarity. Anyway, thanks again. This stuff is frustrating, and fascinating, as I spend hours reading posts here.

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Every headphone is fed by an amp. It may be the built-in amp circuit in an iPhone or other device or a separate unit, but they're all amps. If a headphone is underpowered and not delivering the best sound with a built-in amp, it makes sense to upgrade to a separate amp. Underpowering certainly "colors" the sound.

In my opinion, the headphone is best if it performs un-aided. Meaning, it should run with uncolored signal. That way you know you're listening to the headphone and not the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back