Are expensive Earphone Cables worth the price? (Whiplash Audio TWag v3)
Mar 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Travis9

Head-Fier
I'm new to the High-End Earphone thing. My question is, is it worth it to spend several hundred dollars on a replacement earphone cable? Is there a noticeable sound difference between, say, the Whiplash Audio TWag v3 and the stock cable that comes with a Shure SE535LTD? If so, how much of a difference is there? 

Again, I'm a complete newbie to this kind of thing. I currently own a pair of Shure SE215s, and I love them. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Shure SE535LTDs though. 

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 7
I've got the 535LTDs. At this price point if you don't like the sound of something don't buy it hoping a cable will fix its deficiencies. Buy them and wear them until the cable craps on you; by that time you'll be used to the sound and can more objectively identify the difference if any. IMO any change presented by blowing $200 on a cable will be underwhelming considering where else the money could be spent.

BTW, I love my 535 LTDs

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I've asked around a bit, and I've come to the conclusion to not bother with replacement cables. I don't see myself upgrading to any different earphones after I get the SE535LTDs. How much better can sound quality really get past that point? Can't be much. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Yup. If you want to tweak the sound a bit look at filters for the 535, there's a thread about them somewhere. Don't look to cables for tweakage. If mine go out ( The LTDs come with 2 cables) I may try something fancy but I personally would have a hard time justifying a $200 cable for a $500 IEM, especially when it's a disposable product IMO.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Don't waste money on cables unless they're very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back