Are expensive cables silly squiggly snakes? Ahhh! Mine eyes!
Apr 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #1,111 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I refer to myself its "What I know". When I refer to you its "What I think you know".
confused_face_2.gif

Ever wonder why the non beleiving people usually have a low post count?

Have you ever taken a double blind test with cables, believer? If not, define bias.

Does a high post count impress you? Does the high price of so-called 'audiophile-grade' cables impress you?

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #1,112 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever taken a double blind test with cables, believer? If not, define bias.

Does a high post count impress you? Does the high price of so-called 'audiophile-grade' cables impress you?

Is there a point in there somewhere?

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,114 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just answer the first question

I don't believe in DBT, so the answer would be no. I would be willing to take one with 2 sets of my own cables and using my own equipment. If you do testing with equipment like that and the test subject is not familiar with the equipment and material played then you will get negative results with just about any piece of equipment you swap out. If you read the entire thread then you would know how I stand on this and that I have said numerous times that even with something that makes a much bigger difference than the cables do, like tubes, I have a hard time distinguishing them when swapped out quickly, at best I can tell you that there is a difference but not precisely what the differences are unless I have long periods of time with each tube, or in this case cables. But my old IC's compared to my new IC's I could distinguish very easy with a blindfold. I spent months rolling tubes and weeks choosing IC's and if you haven't put that much effort into your equipment selection then I don't think you really have any personal experience to back up what you say. You don't think for one second that you are the first person to drone on about DBT do you?

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #1,115 of 1,535
Quote:

But my old IC's compared to my new IC's I could distinguish very easy with a blindfold.

Is this hypothetical, or were you actually able to tell the difference without knowing which IC was connected to your system?

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #1,116 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this hypothetical, or were you actually able to tell the difference without knowing which IC was connected to your system?

How about you go and read the entire thread and stop pestering everyone. This has been hashed out many times in this thread, go read.
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #1,117 of 1,535
Quote:

I have also had to defend common sense more than most people as well. Just so you have a clue, if you defend an idea that is not defensible because you don't want to loose face here or anywhere else, then you can expect some personal attacks. Certain people argue on and on even when its been explained to them why they are wrong. You behave this way and you will get treated like a child. You have a problem with this? Then find a place on this Earth where you can live in solitude or you will be sorely disappointed.
cool.gif

Who was calling who arrogant? Besides, you can only really legitimately condescend once you've actually proven something as incontrovertibly true or false, which you haven't (as the length of this thread is a testament to). But hey, we can't all act like mature adults I suppose.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,118 of 1,535
Quote:

It was a very indirect way of saying that people who don't believe, with very few exceptions, don't seem to have much experience or don't have equipment suitable for making a determination about a 300 dollar set if IC's.

Because, you know, if you have a high post count then you have a lot of experience with audio.
confused.gif

All a post count tells you is that you write a lot on head-fi. Besides, there are people who have legitimate experience with equipment and have come to conclusions you find unsatisfactory, you just ignore them/refuse to believe their experience.

Since you keep going on and on about experience, do you have any experience with double blind testing? After all, you can't say it doesn't work until you have actual experience with it.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #1,119 of 1,535
Deaconblues, if you really know your system it is easy to tell. Go a step further and add power conditioning, the sound will change. Even go as far as replacing the receptacle in the wall the sound will change. IC's are only the tip of the iceberg tweeking our gear. As soon as we can identify silver IC's have a different sound signature to copper this hobby becomes really fun trying to find the perfect IC's or whatever to add to our gear for the "perfect" sound. Just my 2 cents. olblueseyes cant take all the heat for this one.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,120 of 1,535
Quote:

As soon as we can identify silver IC's have a different sound signature to copper this hobby becomes really fun trying to find the perfect IC's or whatever to add to our gear for the "perfect" sound. Just my 2 cents.

That's the problem. After how many ever years, it has never been proven that 3 feet of silver wire, as oppose to 3 feet of copper wire affects the overall sound of any system, yet here at Head-Fi and Audio Asylum, everyone claims silver is bright in any system and copper is warm.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #1,121 of 1,535
Quote:

I don't believe in DBT, so the answer would be no.

wow! back yo the middle ages!
I just had my system blessed by Father John and it sure sounds better!
beyersmile.png

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #1,122 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the problem. After how many ever years, it has never been proven that 3 feet of silver wire, as oppose to 3 feet of copper wire affects the overall sound of any system, yet here at Head-Fi and Audio Asylum, everyone claims silver is bright in any system and copper is warm.

Why would anybody who can hear the difference care about proof?
What's the use?
If you can hear it you can discuss what you hear with everybody else who hear can it.
That's what it's all about. What you hear.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #1,123 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would anybody who can hear the difference care about proof?
What's the use?
If you can hear it you can discuss what you hear with everybody else who hear can it.
That's what it's all about. What you hear.

This is the part I don't understand, lots of good advice is available on these forums but people choose to disregard experience that they don't have. And, yes, if someone can hear a difference then why would this person care about proof that is tangible on a website? It just goes to show you that its not really about cables but about arguing for the sake of arguing. If it were about cables then all the non believing, inexperienced, low-fi equipment having, zealots would be wanting proof, the proof is the easy part, buy the proper equipment and spend time as others and myself have described over and over, then you will be able to hear what a good cable can do. I also want to say that, its not really about "Expensive cables" its about cables that provide synergy with your system and its about having a cable that will not limit the performance of your system, the majority of people seem to think the 10 percent rule works well, it's a good place to start, but is hearing the true test, not some numbers on a chart. There are plenty of numbers for amps but that wont tell you how they sound.

We have a guy who has Koss portable headphones and some AD700's as his entire headphone system telling people who spent thousands on equipment what they can and cannot hear. Not very smart is it?

All the answers start here:
2310034826d6e9731b17.jpg

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #1,124 of 1,535
When those say they don't hear a difference, I would like to know how they are auditioning the IC's? What IC's they where auditioning? What gear they are trying it out on? Is it with speakers or headphones? There could be factors that could be affecting the sound negatively so they can't hear the difference like if all the gear is stacked on top of each other. That is bad. Or if all the cables are zipp tied together to be neat or if all the cables are laying on the carpet. The carpet is a dielectric and will suck the life out of your cables.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #1,125 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You know that hum you hear from electrical lines? That hum is present (on a much much tinier scale) in all electrical wiring. Silver, being more dense than copper, but also more conductive (on a scale of 1x10^-9 ohm/meter), could have a faster vibration, thus a "brighter" sound. Of course, I'm just pulling this out of my rear (and my knowledge of physics). It could also go the other way, regardless, its opinion.

What's important is how short does the wire have to be to hear no difference? Seeing as IC's only degrade sound, at what point does the degradation become unaudible?

And the whole large post count ego thing, look at Sasaki.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back