Are Ety's like using earplugs from the hardware store?
Dec 28, 2002 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drewski

100+ Head-Fier
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I'm a newbie when it comes to headphones. I've tried a few different things over the years, but never got serious about headphones. But now I have a new job and spend two hours a day on the subway, so headphones are the only thing that help me keep my sanity (although going insane trying to find the right ones!).

Now after trying different headphones, I want to try a pair of Ety's because I'm still not happy with the comfort and the sound of the headphones that I've tried (been doing research on this site if 4s's can be driven with a supermini- any advice on this would also be appreciated) . Unfortunately, there are no Ety retailers where I can try a pair of Ety's. I'm more concerned about the fit than the sound because the research that I've done show that people love these for the most part. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if the fit of these are similar to silicon/rubber cone shaped earplugs that you can buy at the home depot. I'm uncomfortable when wearing generic earplugs, does that mean that I most likely won't like the ety's? Or maybe does it feel more like sticking a pencil eraser in my ear?

I know this is a somewhat strange post, but I'm hoping I can be fairly certain that I'll like these before I buy.

Thanks!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Dec 28, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi Drewski, welcome to the sanitarium.

I don't wear earplugs unless I am at the range, the silicon tips feel similar to the plugs that I wear when I have the opportunity to shoot. I can, however, tell you that from a sonic perspective the Etys are unlike anything that I have heard. I would imagine that a Super-Mini would drive the 4s' just fine. They come with both silicon as well as foam tips so the chances of you finding one that is comfortable is good. They will definitely make that 2 hour BART ride much more tolerable.

Good luck.

Dec 28, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 4
I find the Ety's sound much better than the hardware store earplugs. Sorry, couldn't resist. I think it is a matter of getting used to them. If you can wear any type of earplugs you can wear these. I believe Don Wilson said it took about a week for your ears to get used to them. I believe he said the ear actually produces more wax trying to flush the "foregin matter" out. I hope that is right. I find them very, comfortable. I first was just using the foam tips. Now I find I get just as good a seal with the silicon ones and they last longer. Headroom is a great place to purchase Ety's.
cool.gif

Dec 29, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
I find the Ety's sound much better than the hardware store earplugs. Sorry, couldn't resist.
cool.gif

I have a two year old and a 6 month old... so the ety's may not sound as good as silence to me!
wink.gif

Thanks JMT and Lextex for the helpful information. I'm going to break down and buy a pair after the new year. In the meantime, I'll try to get myself adjusted to wearing earplugs!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back