Are Ety's any good?
Sep 10, 2005 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

indiaUS9782

100+ Head-Fier
As you can see from my multiple posts, i need to be certain of the next iem I get. I am only 13 and don't have much money. The Er4 series is much less than the e5 and UM2. Will I really notice a big difference when listening to rap and rock unamped out of an ipod photo 20gb?

P.S. which er4 to get, p or s?

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Er4 is a very detailed set of headphones but they have little bass so it might not be good for rock/rap... I have the E2c and compared to my friend's Er4P, I think the E2c is better for this genre of music. I heard E5 and UM2 have similiar sound signature as the E2c ( warm, musical, good bass ) so they should sound better for your use. If you buy the Er4, get the P if you are using it without amp or the S if you have an amp. There's also an adapter which can convert P to S

Sep 10, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 11
Be sure to buy off HeadRoom for the 30 day return policy (the price matching is just icing on the cake). That way, if you don't like the Ety Er4p you can try something else instead.

I'm not sure of this, but aren't the Shures better for rock/rap?

Sep 10, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 11
I really don't think you will be happy with the Etys for the type of music you are talking about. I have owned both the ER4p, and the E5. In answer to your other question, there is a HUGE difference in bass output with the E5. I can't speak to the UM2 as I have never heard them. For the genre of music you like to listen to, I would even go with the Shure E4 before I went er4. Just my opinion.

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 11
One more vote for the Etys being wrong for you. They just can't do the bass for rap. I like them with rock though I use an amplifier to drive them which helps.

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
One more vote for the Etys being wrong for you. They just can't do the bass for rap. I like them with rock though I use an amplifier to drive them which helps.

And another 'no' for rap purposes
frown.gif
They do produce a nice acurate, tight bass - Just not enough of it to do justice to the rap genre. How about the Shure E4C's?

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 11
What is the difference between a single driver(e4) and dual driver(e5)? is there a big difference(other than 200 bux
frown.gif
)

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 11
The difference between the ER4 and E5 is very pronounced IMHO. There are certainly those who would disagree with me on that, but hey, its my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

ER4 - Cold, analytical, astounding highs, poor bass ( especially for rap or rock ).
ER5 - Warm, musical, good highs, better midrange, outstanding bass.

But... if I were you, given the price range you want to stay in, I would go for the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi Pro. I have a pair and I find them outstanding, especially for the price. In my opion, they have about the same description as the E5, and for my money, I think they do 90-95% as well on everything as the E5. For$ 249 USD, they are one of the better headphone values IMHO.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Just an opinion, but I think you'll be pretty safe picking randomly between the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro, Shure E5, and the Westone UM2. All three do most thing very well with only small flaws that make people who've heard them all lean one way or the other. While there's a lot of love out there for both the Shure E4 and the Etymotic ER4, I really don't think either one is going to be a very good fit for your purposes.

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 11
okay
thanks
now let me change directions here, how do the UM2's compare to the E5 and sf5pro? I mean, from the sfpro to the E5 is 120 dollars. Is the E5 really worth the additional money over the others. (my two main choices are the UM2 and e5)
Please explain to me what you mean my clarity and accuracy. I mean, doesn't every headphone that costs a little more than 200 dollars sound clear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back