Are Etty's still good?
Jun 12, 2008 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rhydon

MOT: Symphones
There have been a lot of developments in IEM-world over the past few years, most of which i havnt paid attention to. Browsing through past posts, it seems there are quite a bit of new offerings. Looking to purchase a pair of good IEM's- powerful, neutral, and balanced. Are Etty's still standing among the best?

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 10
You mean Etys -Etymotics? (Just in case Etty is an old brand I don't know)

IMO, yes, Etymotic still cut it with aplomb. Very clear and detailed sound, as always. Not perhaps as much 'fun' as others, but still a mighty brand for sure...my ER-4 (in S config) really shone for me last night on some acoustic music (Donovan In Concert & Kaki King) and the magical Kevin Ayers...wonderful sound.

edit\ and for electrics -they really brought Peter Green's The End Of The Game to life. Those muttering bass drums...wooo.

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 10
hell yea
smily_headphones1.gif
there a thread which asks the same question if you do a search...

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 10
After a decade or so the guys at Etymotic probably couldn't figure out what to improve on.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, among the big guys, ER-4 does some things better, and some things worse. But at the price, it's a steal IMO.

If you are looking for "powerful, neutral, and balanced". Unamped they are neutral, but not quite balanced and powerful to me. Amping it would make them sound fuller and bring out the bottom end to what I call balanced.

That said I am contented with bass boost on my DAP and am using it unamped. As I find amping my setup would sacrifice that pin point precision imaging and the signature crispness. But it depends on your setup I guess and YMMV.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Absolutely nothing is still as detailed as an ER4S. Not really even close. But this doesn't necessarily mean they are better. Too much detail can be fatiguing to many ears. I think triple drivers have raised the bar on IEM SQ.

Personally, after SE530 and Triple Fi Pro, I cannot go back to Ety unless it is paired with a well made warm sounding amp which then makes ER4S the best sounding single driver made...well enough to compete even with triple drivers.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 10
I tried the cheapest model for few hrs but it was tooooo bright for me so I returned it.
I need bass
basshead.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I;ve had my ety 4p for years, back when they sold for about $350. The "p" was recommended for portable use, but that was before the big rage in amplification.

Yes, they are still in my rotation of IEMs, even though I also own Image, Sleek and Beyer 880s.

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #10 of 10
hell even the er6i still manages to amaze me at time!

and they are sooooo damn comfortable.... especially with olives

almost like wearing nothing at all. (something i can not say about my sf5p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back