Are esw9s truly "portable"?
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fella

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in trying these somewhere as competition for my p5s for good looking portable cans in the price range. But how does the isolation and/or leaking compare? Will they sound better unamped out and about/ on the subway, or worst? Will people beside me hear my music? Will I hear the outside world?

Don't really care about a comparrison at-home in a music room. That`s what my energy speakers are for!

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Based on the ESW10JPN, which should be close enough.

Isolation - not very good for portable use, definitely not enough for the subway.
Leaking - minimal
Amplification - better not to comment, ESW10JPNs sound great without an amp* but improve with one.

Generally I prefer IEMs for commuting and really portable use.

* I am not one of those HD800 out of a soundcard types. I love home amps.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You! That's what I needed to know.

I can't do iems.

It looks like until the beyer portables there is actually nothing to compare the b&ws to.

Well in terms of sound quality I'd bet the ESW9 is at least as good but most likely a notch better, without an amp (they were designed to be used that way).

However, I was rather impressed by the P5 isolation, and that's not the sort comment you often see attributed to the ESW9.

If money's not an issue, you can also look at the ESW10 and ES10 (both in a higher category than the ESW9). I heard isolation is slightly improved on the ES10, but I'm not sure if by "slightly" you can read "as good as the P5".

If elegance isn't necessary, you might want to look at the Sennheiser HD 25 (same level as the ESW9).

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You! That's what I needed to know.

I can't do iems.

It looks like until the beyer portables there is actually nothing to compare the b&ws to.

This is exactly the boat I was in a few weeks ago. A truly portable can that runs fine without an amp. From the extensive reading I've done, here are the
headphones you could look at:

1. B&W p5 - which you already have I think. No complaints about this, it actually fits the bill perfectly if you can get over the hefty price and the tight clamping (deal breaker for me)

2. ESW9 - from what i've read, the only issue here is that they're not very durable (don't take my word for it)

3. HD-25 II - good all around, though not as stylish as the 2 above

4. ES7 - a little outdated, but at a quarter of the price of the P5's, I might look into this

5. Ultrasone 780 - seems to have generally positive reviews all around.

I can't do IEM's either, so I got myself a Yuin PK1 for portable use.

Goodluck with your search!

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Based on my ESW10JPN's, yes, they are indeed portable but not for ALL PURPOSE portable use. For casual street use and casual transportable use, they do very well. I feel that their isolation ability is underrated slightly; sure, it's not enough for train and airplane heavy duty noise blocking use but for street and bus use (where, you know, you may need to have some awareness of your surroundings), they still block enough for you to enjoy the music. Again, there are situations where this type of pseudo-isolation is more advantageous, so do keep that in mind.

But if you are looking for casual "beat up-able" portable or do indeed need high amount of isolation, then no, I'd look elsewhere.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Isolation is decent though they are not going to block out the world and that's not a bad thing if you're moving around in any type of congested area.

They are very good in the leakage prevention department. I was listening to some music fairly loudly on them when my wife walked over to ask me something. I took the ESW9's off and we both could hear them blasting pretty good. She finished and I put them back on. I could tell she wanted something else so I took them off again. She asked me to put them on and take them off again. She was amazed that something that sounded so loud when they were off my ears were virtually silent when I put them back on. That's my experience.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 8
I have been using my ESW9s as portables for a month now. In the street, on a bus, on a train, on a plane.

I cannot say they isolate perfectly, but to me it was enough to have them with me.

I prefer to have these with their SQ and a bit of noise than having some IEMs (hate IEMs).

I am generally happy with them for portable use. I will be flying around a lot soon and am taking them with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back