Are earbuds dying?
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #46 of 63
Quote:
I saw it a while ago but I diffently am not paying $300 for them
frown.gif

You're not missing much. I've had a set bought new for 115 bucks a long time ago. They are in storage somewhere. The ER4S knocked them out of the picture and the BLOX was the final nail in their coffin. They were easily the best in their day, but that day is long gone.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #48 of 63
Quote:
I just want it for collection , if you want to sell it to me for $25 I'll take it off your hands
smily_headphones1.gif

If I could find them I send them to you for the cost of postage. Not worth digging through a heap of boxes to dig them out.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #50 of 63
Quote:
Ohh please oh please I will be so happy if it would come ture
smily_headphones1.gif

You have no idea how much "archived" stuff I have round. Probably a good bet they're still plugged into an MD player at the bottom of a box of disks
basshead.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #53 of 63
Earbuds are dying, and I can tell you that because nobody likes buying them at our store. We have some previous generation Sennheiser earbuds on clearout and nobody even wants them. It's just not comfortable to most who have tried silicon/foam tips; and those isolate sound.

You definitely get better SQ in under 50$ earbuds in comparison to most budget iem's. Then again, you have Nuforce, HiFiMAN and other niche iem's for dirt cheap

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:
You're not missing much. I've had a set bought new for 115 bucks a long time ago. They are in storage somewhere. The ER4S knocked them out of the picture and the BLOX was the final nail in their coffin. They were easily the best in their day, but that day is long gone.

The D9 have next to no bass, but they have more clarity and a much bigger soundstage than even the Blox TM7. It's amazingly huge and deep. Apparently the earlier V99 were much more balanced than the D9. If you have a pair of those I'll be glad to take them off your hands...  :)

Quote:
Earbuds are dying, and I can tell you that because nobody likes buying them at our store. We have some previous generation Sennheiser earbuds on clearout and nobody even wants them. It's just not comfortable to most who have tried silicon/foam tips; and those isolate sound.

You definitely get better SQ in under 50$ earbuds in comparison to most budget iem's. Then again, you have Nuforce, HiFiMAN and other niche iem's for dirt cheap

I don't think that earbuds are dying. They have made a small comeback the last few years. Already 10 years ago Sony and other big companies stopped making high end earbuds. Then Yuin came along and made great stuff such as the PK series. After that other small Chinese makers have joined in. So there still is a market for people who want good sounding earbuds.
Sennheiser still has got a high end model in the MX985. To me, my MX980 sound better than the IE8 which is twice as expensive. IEM's just don't have as expansive soundstage as earbuds. They offer isolation and micro detail, but you lose that feeling of openness and airiness that you can get from good earbuds.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #56 of 63
Quote:

Might want to sell them using the For Sale part of Head-Fi.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #58 of 63
Quote:

Do you do mail order?

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #59 of 63
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #60 of 63
I guess I must be old, because "earbuds" have always fit inside the ear canal, "earphones" have always fit just outside the ear and headphones have always fit over the ear. Its been this way since the beginning of time. When did "earphones" automagically become "earbuds" and "earbuds" become "in ear monitors" Until today I have never seen so many people confuse "earbuds" with "earphones" or use the term "in ear monitors" and I have read hundreds of reviews on "earbuds" which is the proper term for "earphones" that fit inside the ear canal. I'm guessing the OP was referring to "earphones" and not "earbuds" when asking if they are dying. I would say "earphones" are dying for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back