are DVD-A and SA-CD really that uncommon?
Jul 7, 2005 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

EdipisReks

Banned
i got new glasses today, and while i was waiting for my lenses to be made i went to the nearest CD store in the mall. i asked the clerk there if they had a DVD-A or SA-CD section, and the guy looked at me like i was speaking in another language. i know that DVD-A and SA-CD aren't particularly popular, but i would have expected someone working at a CD store to at least have heard of the formats. sheesh.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 35
Yes, they are really that uncommon! Your salesman reacted in exactly the same manner that I have experienced when asking the question of SA-CD or DVD-AUDIO titles at my local (and not so local) music stores. It is completely...flagging to my spirit that the greatest high resolution audio formats yet conceived have had no penetration in the mainstream market. Ah...

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 35
Here too. We don't exactly have much choice for music stores where I live, and of the few places I go to, they have only a handful of SACDs and DVD-As, and they're brutally overpriced.

Jul 7, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 35
Ditto in Japan as well.

I suspect we're a little better than anywhere else - in a fair number of the larger music stores you can find tiny SACD/DVD-A selections, usually all classical/jazz. The bigger Tower Records/HMVs in Tokyo also carry some, with maybe two or three dozen titles outside of classical/jazz. But go into 90% of the shops and ask for SACD/DVD-A, you'll get the same blank look.

There is a nice audiophile shop in Akihabara that has a very small floor dedicated to the high-rez formats. But, man, for a pop-music fan the catalogues are thin.

Best,

-Jason

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 35
well, at least i'm not alone in the experience. fortunately, my local Best Buy has a decent supply of DVD-A and SA-CD's, and the prices aren't bad at all (i picked up the SA-CD of Steely Dan's Gaucho and the DVD-A of Beck's Sea Change for $12 a piece).

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 35
Pfft.

That's nuttin'. I went up to a music store sales person and asked if they had any vinyl, and gave me that same look!
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Pfft.

That's nuttin'. I went up to a music store sales person and asked if they had any vinyl, and gave me that same look!
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

did they at least know what vinyl was, though? when i said "DVD Audio", the response was "we don't carry blank dvd's".

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 35
Yes, it is. My local best buy does have a distant dusty corner of SACD's. It is a rather lonely place appearing like scavenged carcass with a few morsels of meat hanging off a rib here and there.

DVD-A is a little more common in the form of dual discs.

Brave souls only need apply for SACD. FE, amazon has a copy of Oasis - Standing on the Shoulder of Giants for the bargain sum of $99. Mediocre music at extravagant prices - yes!

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 35
Yes, it's pretty uncommon around where I live as well. At least I have a BestBuy that carries some SACD's. Of course, IIRC, BestBuys will stop carrying both SACD and DVD-A soon, if not have done so already (and just selling remaining stock). For the most part, I buy my SACD's online.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 35
Amusicdirect.com
Elusivedisc.com
Acousticsounds.com
TelArc.com

...have thousands (literally) of SACD/DVD-Audio titles available, with new ones coming out, every week. Sign up for their weekly newsletters.

This also includes an extensive collection of vinyl.

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 35
Yeah, it's pretty sad. I'm in Mexico, and I haven't seen a DVD-AUDIO or SA-CD. And I'm not kidding. Well some cds include the DVD with some documentaries and maybe like 6 songs of the 20 in video but it is 2.1. So not worth.

The only place in the USA that I have seen more or less a lot and not very oberpriced DVD-Audio is Best Buy. (I know that place sucks for everything that they sell there, I think DVD-Audio and Dvd tittles is the exception though) I wonder if anyone knows any good online stores for DVD-Audio and SA-CD?

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 35
Last week I was attending a 2 day training workshop in the financial district of San Francisco (iPod-land) and I decided to take a walk to Sony Metreon and HMV during lunch to check out their SACD selection. To make a long story short, I think I have more SACDs than either places. Actually, I didn't even see any
eek.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Help
I wonder if anyone knows any good online stores for DVD-Audio and SA-CD?

Help...Look up 2 posts
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back