Are DT880's good for Rock or what?
Jan 12, 2006 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rickio

500+ Head-Fier
Beside Grados which I keep reading are good for rock. Are the DT880's or any other of there models good for rock? Any other Can's worth mentioning besides Grado.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 11
I currently own the DT 880 and have owned the SR-325. For ANY genre of music, including rock, I do not believe there is any contest. The SR-325s can't hold a candle to the DT 880s. Grados color sound a lot, which I do not prefer. If music is good, it will sound good, and the neutrality of the DT 880s is, for me, the best way to make something good sound GOOD.

Most headphones are fine for rock, even if they excel at other things. There are many people who think that rock isn't worth the bother without a Grado, and I simply couldn't disagree more.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio
Beside Grados which I keep reading are good for rock. Are the DT880's or any other of there models good for rock? Any other Can's worth mentioning besides Grado.

smily_headphones1.gif

Grados are better for rock than other high end headphones (Senns, Beyers, AKG, Audio Technica) by a pretty good margin.

"IMO", "to my ears", "YMMV" etc.

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 11
Although this is not a fair comparison, I own the SR80's and the DT880's. I bought the Grado's after hearing how amazing they were for rock, etc. I was pretty disappointed with what I heard. I felt like the bass was missing any kind of authority, and the whole sound had a very one dimensional feel to it. There was no heft, no weight behind any of the notes. Yes they were very quick, but I guess the Grado sound signature is not for me. I have heard that the issues I had with the Grado's only marginally improve as you climb up the product ladder.

Now the DT880's are an entirely different story. Although some claim the bass to be anemic, I find it quite satisfying. IMO, it's much, much better than the Grado's bass. It goes very low, and has a satisfying weight behind it. It's not the strongest, but it gets the job done. It is there when the music calls for it. The treble is rich, and the sense of air is amazing. They are both involving and detailed, something that I feel is rare. I didn't think I was one for a neutral, analytical set of cans (hence the reason I originally bought the more colored and "musical" Grado's), but after hearing the Beyer's I am hooked. You can get caught up in the music listening to them, or just have them on and forget they're there. I have no trouble listening to rock with them, you can hear every detail there is to hear.

Of course the best solution is to demo them, but if you can't, I'd say go with your gut. I muddled over this latest purchase for weeks and weeks, and finally went with my gut and got the beyer's. Trust your instincts!!

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 11
I can definitely enjoy rock on the DT880 but don't doubt that other cans would do it better. It doesn't have presence in the mid/upper bass regions which means that many rock recordings lack the impact they need. What the DT880 does well is low bass and that is largely absent in rock. Whether this missing bass is just an absence of boost is a moot point.....

I find the DT880 does much better on electronica, ambient, classical etc. where the low bass makes its present felt. For example, Kraftwerk's 'Tour de France Soundtracks' sounds much more involving thru these cans than my HD650's.
biggrin.gif
. On the other hand, I don't think the Sugden is the best amp to drive Senns with, think they need something more up-front to grab them by the neck!!

Jan 12, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio

smily_headphones1.gif

DT880 is good for some rock IMO, but not all. Not so hot for stuff heavy on electric guitars and/or poorly recorded rock in general. It has an airy (rather than weighty/slamming) bottom end.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the replies. It helps me consider the DT880's. I do have a set of SR225's and enjoy them very much. But I wanted something that was different as well as good for Rock.

I guess in a sense something to compliment the Grados.
wink.gif

any other can's worth mentioning that are good with Rock?

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 11
Try the Beyer dt770 or dt990, they both rock just as well (hard) as many of the Grado models. In fact I prefer the 990's for most types of rock.

The Beyers are also attractively priced, comfortable and very well built.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back