Are deep inserts always better?
May 17, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #2 of 9
No, some IEMs (Etymotic, Westone, lots of CIEMs) are tuned for a deep insertion, while others (probably most) are tuned for the shallow insertion typically measured on 711 rigs etc. With universals, you can decide yourself what depth sounds best in each ear kind of as you have been experimenting already... I go with whatever sounds best in my ears :)

May 18, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 9
As I understand, deeper mounting allows for less attenuation of treble and mid bass and less room for occlusion in the outer ear canal, so the end result is cleaner sound.

Shallow mounting seals less so above mentioned areas attenuate a bit, but to my ears it allows your unique HRTF to influence the signal more, making the sound slightly more natural, for lack of a better concept. I perceive improved stage width and imaging when mounting IEMs shallow.

This may differ due to IEMs being designed differently, these are just observations from my experience with my IEMs.

May 18, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 9
I was thinking about this for a while. Because for some IEMs when i try to insert them deeply volume is reduced. It might sound better but is it always the best?
it depends on how the manufacturers design the IEM. The ones designed for shallow fit might sound dark with deep fit. The ones designed for deep fit might show bright and harsh with shallow fit.

If I have a choice, I prefer shallow fit because the soundstage width expands when the drivers are pushed further away from the ear drums. If you have a pair of spin fit ear tips, you can test immediately.

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 9
I was thinking about this for a while. Because for some IEMs when i try to insert them deeply volume is reduced. It might sound better but is it always the best?
Are deep inserts always better?

No 😇😉

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 9
it depends on how the manufacturers design the IEM. The ones designed for shallow fit might sound dark with deep fit. The ones designed for deep fit might show bright and harsh with shallow fit.

If I have a choice, I prefer shallow fit because the soundstage width expands when the drivers are pushed further away from the ear drums. If you have a pair of spin fit ear tips, you can test immediately.
Same 👍

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 9
As I understand, deeper mounting allows for less attenuation of treble and mid bass and less room for occlusion in the outer ear canal, so the end result is cleaner sound.

Shallow mounting seals less so above mentioned areas attenuate a bit, but to my ears it allows your unique HRTF to influence the signal more, making the sound slightly more natural, for lack of a better concept. I perceive improved stage width and imaging when mounting IEMs shallow.

This may differ due to IEMs being designed differently, these are just observations from my experience with my IEMs.
This always depends on the tip. If the bore is flush with the top of the tip then yes. If not, the tip will almost always deflect the sound as it bends due to deep insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back