Are custom molded IEM's really better
Apr 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ramw5p

New Head-Fier
Ok, so i have never heard one..obviously...i currently own UE 5eb, like them. I see several options for around $400 give or take. At this price range, is this a real step up?? Do custom molded iem's work well in a workout/daily use envoronment, or are they really just for musicians etc. Thanks for any input

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 6
I've been using livewires dual for the last 3 years. You really can keep them in your ears for a few hours straight without any discomfort. I've been using them daily without a protective case, just chuck them in my pocket or bag.

As for sound quality, I would imagine that they sound at least as good as universals in the same price range.

Recently I tried universal IEMs again, and was not used to the tips adding pressure inside my ear. They can be used for workouts, but I guess you would want to use your cheaper old IEMs for that!

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't use full customs, but use custom tips on universal monitors. I can't stand working out with them in because every move echoes like crazy in my head. The gym is the one time I switch back to a regular set of headphones.

Another thing to consider, is that if you're working out, you'll sweat, and moisture is not good for IEMs. If there is a filter in place it might save your driver, but hopefully the filter will be user serviceable. Otherwise, it's a trip to the repair shop.

Just a few thoughts.

-Jeff

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6
If it were for working out or something like that i see no point in dropping close to 400 bucks for some. Risk of catching on a machine, sweat getting in the bore, etc, i just wouldnt be able to wear them. Thats why i bought the NE6 for the gym and my Mage is for home and roadtrips etc. Im sure they would work fine i cant see how there would be a problem.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Why would you want custom in-ears while working out? By running and such, you would probably miss the intricate details of music altogether, and be focused on working out. Plus you run the risk of damaging the IEMs with sweat. You should just purchase a decent IEM for working out and use customs for anything other than working out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back