Are custom-mold IEMs worth it?
May 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drey08

Head-Fier
Here's the list of headphones I've owned in the last decade or so:

- AKG K-701 (amazing mids and highs, but require a powerful driver)
- Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear (great first Sennheiser's!)
- Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear 1.0 (terrible!)
- Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear 1.0 (great upgrade over on-ear version) - Edit: I mean't upgrade over *on-ear*, not *in-ear*
- Sennheiser IE 8 (amazing, first jaw-dropping experience of an IEM)
- Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear 2.0 (great, so happy I bought two so I can give one to a family member)
- Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear 2.0 Wireless (latest, amazing, but still need a driver for ultimate listening at home)

I've had more but these were the ones I remember the most.

When it comes to in-ear models the IE 8 sounded absolutely amazing, but their huge casing was extremely uncomfortable to wear. A real shame because they were soo perfect.. (I also lost them, but that's because I'm an idiot..)

Are custom molds comfortable to wear? I know they're "built to fit", but how well does this translate to having them stuck in your ears for hours at a time, do you get uncomfortable wearing them or is it like they're not even there?

And what about the sound?

I mean most customs seem to go in excess of 1K - 2K euro, so it's a significant step up to everything I ever owned before. If I had a custom-mold version of the IE-8 I'd probably be very, very happy. 2K isn't too much to ask if it really blows me away and it feels very comfortable to wear.

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

May 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 3
This is a great question. Having never owned CIEM's it would be nice to hear from some owners about this. I've struggled with universals being comfortable even with extensive tip rolling. Since customs are a big investment, and also harder to resell, it would be nice to have some input from those who have CIEM's.

May 23, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 3

I mean most customs seem to go in excess of 1K - 2K euro, so it's a significant step up to everything I ever owned before. If I had a custom-mold version of the IE-8 I'd probably be very, very happy. 2K isn't too much to ask if it really blows me away and it feels very comfortable to wear.

There are plenty of places that can make and ship customs for less than 1k euro. A lot of them have threads dedicated to them in this forum. I've recently taken the plunge and ordered an entry-level pair for less than $300 US, and only spent about $50 US total to get my impressions made and shipped to the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back