Are Creative the new Bose?
May 29, 2009 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Gamerphile

500+ Head-Fier
I was shocked when a danish headphile internet shop had Creatives full sized headphones in their product range. To it seems to be horribly bloatware marketing and overpriced items - the headphones that Creative has made. Heard a few of the IEM's where above cardboard cutouts but that was about it. Been told that the full are worse cost/preformance wise and from what I've heard from other people and quick listens in stores and read on their boxes its typical Creative consumer misguidence. Does anyone have any experince with the fullsize headphones they have made? good or bad wanted
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 22
Well creative lost its reputation over the last few years in my opinion. There was no realy product that could compete with products on the market (mp3 players - sound cards). Nothing realy innovative...

The only thing i like from them is still my old Creative Zen Vision M and the EP630. Acctualy I own a iPod Touch 2G at the moment

May 29, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 22
love my x-fi

their headsets sound better than most 'gaming' junk, but has a bad quality rep

May 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by div /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well creative lost its reputation over the last few years in my opinion. There was no realy product that could compete with products on the market (mp3 players - sound cards). Nothing realy innovative...

guess you're not old enough to remember
smile.gif

creative won the market with compatibilty of their original soundblaster series...make no mistake, there were better cards available even then from logitech(soundman 16) turtle beach(everything they used to make) etc....

then they branched out with products like external top-loading cd-rom drives...

i can't seem to find a vomiting smiley...

May 29, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 22
I should mention I use the Creative X-Fi elite pro system as part of my gaming rig and for their sound cards they had their rights but only by using monopoly status and marketing that was pretty bloated and even misleading in some cases stating they did stuff they really didn't.

May 29, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

then they branched out with products like external top-loading cd-rom drives...

With that stupid overly sensitive sensor that closes the tray whilst you're placing a CD. I think I had a 8 bit Soundblaster then the Sound blaster 2/16 bit. With Wing Commander speech pack.

May 29, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 22
I believe I still have some old Soundblasters in my basement!

I've lost hope in Creative over the past two years; their lack of compatibility with their own drivers first made me disappointed, but then having to rely on a third party, Daniel_K, to make functional drivers for their cards, well that's just sad.

HT Omega has made me a believer that Creative has lost their place in making quality sound cards. No issues from this thing on Vista 32 and 64bit, XP or Windows 7. I was tempted to go with Asus, but I've heard some compatibility complaints too.

I must say, I liked their old MP3 players though! I have a USB stick based 512mb Muvo that I paid something like $200 for about seven years ago or so and a 4GB Zen Micro that cost me the same amount just a year or two after. Oh the constant fluctuating price of technology!

Anyways, Creative won't be getting my business anytime soon.

May 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say, I liked their old MP3 players though! I have a USB stick based 512mb Muvo that I paid something like $200 for about seven years ago or so and a 4GB Zen Micro that cost me the same amount just a year or two after. Oh the constant fluctuating price of technology!

Ha! I used a 128Mb Muvo constantly. Silly little eater of AAA batteries.
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact, it still works very well in data-stick mode if I have to transfer small files.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 22
Creative have always been more or less crappy, X-Fi is their first soundcard that doesn't resample everything to 48 or 96 KHz, regardless of kernel streaming or ASIO.
Even though they have the most advanced sound effects for games today, they where not the first to make HW accelerated sound effects, that was Gravis with their UltraSound series.
Creative's best period must be after Gravis went away and before VIA's Envy24 hit the market.
But then it's easy to look down on Creative when you think audio quality is important.
Even though Creative likes to market them selves to Hi-Fi enthusiasts and musicians, their main market is gamers.
All gamers need is boomy bass and EAX effects, and that Creative delivers.
I have never heard a Creative audiocard sound significantly better than good onboard audio, such as ADI SoundMax (for music playback) and their speaker systems are horrible.
Creatives Crystalizer and CMSS3D just ruin the sound in my opinion and EAX is of limited use.
That said I would like a Creative card for gaming, I'd just not use it's analogue outputs as their DAC's are crappy.
As for headphones, I have only heard a simple cheap headset by Creative, and well it might do for communication purposes, but that's stretching it.

May 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 22
At least creative doesn't bombard magazines with advertisements to sell more overpriced gear in which the huge profit margins are funneled back to more advertisements to brainwash more consumers who buy more overprice equipment.

May 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Aurvana Live! isn't all that bad.

yea the only good things they make are the ones that are made by oems of other company (ep-630, d1000)

I have owned 2 Zen players and 2 Creative soundcards. I don't know if it's just bad luck but ALL of them died within 2 years. You wouldn't want to deal with them when things go bad either; they have some of the worst warranty & support policies I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back