Are CIEM all the same in terms of comfort for sleeping on the side?
Mar 21, 2023 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Loftprojection

500+ Head-Fier
I'm shopping for a good custom IEM ideally around $1k to $1.5k. My main concern is that I go to sleep with IEMs every night so I need to find something that will be the best in terms of comfort for lying on the side on the pillow. When I look at pictures, most custom IEMs seem to be relatively flat on the external side but I guess some are probably quite a bit more thick than others which I assume will create pressure on my ears when lying on the side. Would be nice if manufacturers would publish some kind of measurement for thickness of the casing.

BTW I currently use Beyer Xelento, I would say they give me great comfort for standard positions but when lying on the side they are just OK, after a while the pressure becomes uncomfortable.

Many thanks for your help.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 10
I used to own westone es5 custom, and honestly I don't recommend customs if you wanna lay on your side on the pillow, its uncomfortable as heck
Its not just the pressure alone, but also the whole shell is pressing into your ear. A small universal iem will be much better, I used to use UE700 before getting my customs way back in early 2010s and now I'm using Moondrop Chu for lying on the side.

Mar 21, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 10
For me the best are Sennheiser IE600 / IE900 with spinfit tips like CP1025 . but W1 are fine too (depends on the ear canal).. for me Xelento is fine too but a bit less comfortable.

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Well good thing I asked before spending a lot of money! I assumed a custom would be ultimate comfort since they are perfectly sitting on the ear but it's probably because they are too big then. Thanks a lot for replying guys.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 10
I 2nd the vote for no customs but yes IEXXX. My IEM journey started with me trying to find a sleep IEM. First was Klipsch x10. Still a fine choice even after all this time and money. Graduated to IE800. Customized them to MMCX. Went up to IE900 which should do it for me long-term. Even bought IE300 for sleep when traveling. None of those have caused me one iota of discomfort.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 10
Well looks like I might have to try the IE900! I was hoping for something more “exotic” to complement my Xelento but hey, Beyer and Senn usually have quite a different sound signature so I might be a happy camper!

Mar 22, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #8 of 10
custom made buds are worst for lying. Your ear canal would deform when lying, which your earmod was not made when lying.
Ya thanks, I guess it could be a good choice if someone made a tiny CIEM but they all make very thick ones. I guess they make it so big because it’s the best way to get optimal sound quality. The one driver approach that Senn IE900 and Beyer Xelento are using probably explains why their casing is quite small.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 10
I had made silicone Custom Art earplugs that don't stick out of the ear (so they are much smaller than IEMs), but they are not usable for lying on the side at all, so I'd expect much larger IEMs which definitely have to stick out of the ear to be even more uncomfortable

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 10
Well good thing I asked before spending a lot of money! I assumed a custom would be ultimate comfort since they are perfectly sitting on the ear but it's probably because they are too big then. Thanks a lot for replying guys.
Customs don't compare with universals in comfort for long multi-hour usage though. Unless you find universals fitting you ears really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back