Are Cassette tapes still good?
Feb 5, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the deck and the blank tape are matched good, the recordings can sound awesome. The trick is the matching part. Before CD-R and CD recording capability was common, I used to tape my CDs using Type II high bias Denon (HD-8) and Sony (UX-S and UX-Pro) on my 3 head closed loop dual capstan Sony deck (which I still have)....and they sometimes sound as good as the original CDs.

For the record, a Sony "Sports" cassette Walkman is still being used as part of my portable rig.

Thanks for the tip. Now let me see if I can find maybe a Naka locally here. You will never know here in Jacksonville!

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 39
I’m still buying Brand NEW tapes (Jazz and Blues) from Jazz Record Mart in Chicago.
The majority of them are European.
They have Blue Note, MCA, Milestone, MANGO, FANTASY, Starline, Pacific, A&M, Delmark, PABLO among others.
They sound absolutely wonderful!
You can order them online if you wish.
Check them out, you will not be disappointed.

Jazz Record Mart Web Store

http://jazzrecordmart.com/

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’m still buying Brand NEW tapes (Jazz and Blues) from Jazz Record Mart in Chicago.
The majority of them are European.
They sound absolutely wonderful!
You can order them online if you wish.
Check them out, you will not be disappointed.

Jazz Record Mart Web Store

So cheap..........

When looking for an used deck what should I look for (features, etc.)?

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #19 of 39
HyperDuel,
If your going to buy New Prerecorded Tapes you do not need to get anything too fancy.
Vintage decks from Nakamichi, Technics, Akai, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, will work great.

Besides Nakamichi, Pioneer came out with their Elite series that is killer.
Here is one for sale on flea bay.

NICE HIGHEND PIONEER ELITE CR-42 STEREO CASSETTE DECK - eBay (item 140378867364 end time Feb-05-10 15:38:04 PST)

Now, if you are going to get into recording, that's a completely different story.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

HyperDuel,
If your going to buy New Prerecorded Tapes you do not need to get anything too fancy.
Vintage decks from Nakamichi, Technics, Akai, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo, will work great.

Besides Nakamichi, Pioneer came out with their Elite series that is killer.
Here is one for sale on flea bay.

NICE HIGHEND PIONEER ELITE CR-42 STEREO CASSETTE DECK - eBay (item 140378867364 end time Feb-05-10 15:38:04 PST)

Now, if you are going to get into recording, that's a completely different story.

Thanks for the tip! I'm personally leaning for the Nakamichi yet they are known for repairs.

I'm going for the prerecorded route so no recording stuff for me.

Let me see what the world the flea market is going to offer me.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 39
Now, if you can find this baby, your really rocking!!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

1000zxllimited800.jpg

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #22 of 39
Gosh I remember dreaming of Nakamichi Dragon...

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #23 of 39
That my son is the Infamous Nakamichi 1000ZXL Limited!!

12126594710c3.jpg

The Nakamichi 1000ZXL Ltd Computing Cassette Deck is a very, very special analog recording/playback component. Extraordinary precision and specifications deem this home owners analog cassette deck the absolute best of breed. Only a hundred of so were ever hand constructed by Nakamichi, Ltd of Japan. If you ever have an opportunity to view one of these beauties in action, try the nifty programmable playback options. Really outtasight machine, one of Nakamichi's best efforts during the early 1980's!

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #24 of 39
Ray: No way, too bling bling for my taste.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gosh I remember dreaming of Nakamichi Dragon...

Honestly I can afford one but what is the point of one? I'll get a lower-medium Naka deck and be happy with it.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray: No way, too bling bling for my taste.
wink.gif

I don't know, kinda makes my nipples hard just looking at it!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

HyperDuel,
If you want something fun, get the RX-202, RX-303 or RX-505.
The tape tray flips the cassette around.
Really cool!!!!

Agreed but I'm worried about that part that makes it flips getting worned out.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #29 of 39
S-VHS tapes were obviously used for digital PCM recording via ADAT, but I've also heard that they sounded great when used for analog audio recording only, much better than cassette tapes. I never tried this myself though. Can anyone confirm it? I used to have a S-VHS recorder and player a long time ago, but only used it to record broadcasts or to copy Laserdiscs.

VHS Hi-Fi had a frequency response of 20Hz-20kHz, whereas regular VHS was 50Hz-12kHz, at least this was what the professional decks could record at.
The problem is that S-VHS only had a 46dB SNR and VHS was 43dB with up to 3% distortion.
That is why I'm unsure how good it really was for audio. I'm not sure what the specs are for the highest quality cassette recorders and tapes.

Edit: Apparently cassette players had an signal to noise ratio of 50-70dB, and the tapes had a dynamic range of 60-70dB. So I guess cassettes were better.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

That my son is the Infamous Nakamichi 1000ZXL Limited!!

12126594710c3.jpg

That's one expensive looking microwave oven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back