Are Beyer T-1s designed for 120 ohm headphone amp outputs?
Nov 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I read from time to time - mostly from Jan Meier - that Beyer headphones are generally designed to be driven by a 120 ohm output impedance from a headphone amp, and not the more conventional 0 ohm. I also understand that the Beyerdynamic headphone amp has a 120 ohm output impedance. Does anyone know if the T-1s are also intended to be used with a 120 ohm output? Has anyone tried listening to them this way, and is there an improvement?

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
I read from time to time - mostly from Jan Meier - that Beyer headphones are generally designed to be driven by a 120 ohm output impedance from a headphone amp, and not the more conventional 0 ohm. I also understand that the Beyerdynamic headphone amp has a 120 ohm output impedance. Does anyone know if the T-1s are also intended to be used with a 120 ohm output? Has anyone tried listening to them this way, and is there an improvement?

i brought this up in the big T1 thread but adding a 120ohm adaptor but this doesn't seem to be a popular thing to do here.  i've thought about building one for my AKGs.  

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Beyerdynamic's own A1 amplifier has 100 ohm output impedance. While I have not yet tried the T1, I have heard and own many other their other models. For the 80 ohm DT770 Pro I prefer a low output impedance driving them, but for their 250 and 600 ohm headphones I prefer how they sound when driven from 120 ohm output impedance.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I decided to answer my own question, and found an old 120 ohm adapter I got with a Meier portable amp years ago. My initial impression is that the T-1 sounds much better with the adapter - smoother, warmer, and the slightly metallic top end is now much sweeter, although there is a slight loss of three-dimensionality. On balance, it appears to be an improvement, but I will have to do some more serious listening.

May 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Necromancing an old thread, but I was researching this subject on the t5p. It's early days in the burn-in process, and for my main rig I prefer them from the 120ohm output by a long way. Thank goodness for not selling the Corda! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back