Are Beats really that popular?
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Zankes

100+ Head-Fier
Are Beats really that popular? I have never even seen a pair of beats and when I first heard about beats it was year 2012... I am definitely not buying em! I hate em even thou I never heard about them, because even thou I have never even seen Beats commercial or never seen em or heard I still feel that I hate em, because I have read about them in here....

I guess Finland isn't virused by beats

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 27
Pretty popular around here. I see Beats and Skullcandys everywhere.

In my opinion, the emergence of a couple of brands of higher quality headsets isn't because people are starting to care about the music they listen to, it's because they want to look cool. Most of the music an average Beats consumer listens to doesn't even benefit that much from a more expensive headset anyway. I mean, most pop is designed to appeal to people with low quality speakers.

If anything, the popularity of these headphones isn't much more than a fashion statement. It will either wash out in a couple years, or there will be a mass movement toward serious high quality headsets. I hope the latter is true, however, I think the former is more likely.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 27
I had some cousins visiting from out of country. At one point, I took them to a mall (I live in San Diego). We sat down for a quick bite, and I noticed a poster for Beats. I told my cousin's wife, "This particular brand of headphones is very popular with the teenagers around here." No less than 2 minutes later, a kid walked by wearing a pair.

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 27
How can you hate something that you have never tried? 

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 27
Consider yourself lucky if your encounters with Beats are far and few. I see them in the train, on the bus, on the street, at work.... They also sound weird. One coworker lend me his for awhile. The sound signature totally panders to a specific audience. It made all my lossless music sound like mp3 rips with that strange compression sizzle.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 27
I'm from Canada and they're quite popular here. I don't really see why everyone hates them so much. I used to own a pair myself, and for what most of the people wearing them listen to, they do a good job of accentuating the things they want accentuated (i.e. bass). 

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 27
Feb 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
I'm from Canada and they're quite popular here. I don't really see why everyone hates them so much. I used to own a pair myself, and for what most of the people wearing them listen to, they do a good job of accentuating the things they want accentuated (i.e. bass). 

Yeah, but when Studios cost $300, and Pros cost $400, and you can get a similar sound signature for the same music, but with even more bass and better sound quality, from a $50 headphone like the XB-500, it's practically a no-brainer.  The main factor left is that some people consider Beats as fashion items (although the show The X Factor did a pretty decent job of using the XB-500 for exactly that), and want to "keep up with the Jones'" by having the same cans their cool friends and favorite rappers and pop stars endorse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back