Are audioengines the best 'well known' computer speakers?
Sep 27, 2014 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JackieTran

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for second hand speakers that have accurate but warm sound. You don't get many search results on the UK eBay so I'll need the more well known models. Can you guys help me out

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 13
Check out the website AVforum

Assuming your looking for self powered studio monitors types, not passive unpowered speakers.

M-Audio BX5 (I use the rebranded Monoprice version)
Samson Resolv
Emotiva AirMotiv (pricey but well liked)

Oct 2, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 13
If you want something small that looks nice, the they are a great option. Otherwise, Emotiva AirMotiv 4 or 5s are great speakers. Most sudio monitors in that $300-$500 price range will be better of as a NFM desktop set up if size and style isn't as much of a concern.

KRK Rokit series
PreSonus Eris E5 and E8
Yamaha HS series.
Adam Audio F5 (My favorite)

Just my two cents.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 13
I'm looking for second hand speakers that have accurate but warm sound. You don't get many search results on the UK eBay so I'll need the more well known models. Can you guys help me out

For non-professional monitors (more like audioengines) that use a Master-Slave speaker set-up, check reviews and availability for:

Aktimate Mini or Micro
Swans D1080 MkIV or M200 MkIII

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 13
What about Adam Monitors speakers? Or Genelec speakers? Or Yamaha speakers? You first need to know if you want high end monitors like 'real people' use, or just run-of-the-mill computer speakers. I'm currently running a pair of JBL LSR4328P's. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 13
  What about Adam Monitors speakers? Or Genelec speakers? Or Yamaha speakers? You first need to know if you want high end monitors like 'real people' use, or just run-of-the-mill computer speakers. I'm currently running a pair of JBL LSR4328P's. 

I'm partial to Genelecs for studio use, but at home I prefer KRKs. However, these are all pro monitors that use an amp on each speaker, so adjusting the gain can be a PITA if you don't have a separate preamp of any kind.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 13

I'm partial to Genelecs for studio use, but at home I prefer KRKs. However, these are all pro monitors that use an amp on each speaker, so adjusting the gain can be a PITA if you don't have a separate preamp of any kind.

IMO KRK's are cheap, and don't compare to Genelecs or any of the other I mentioned. Also not all pro studio monitors need amps. Look at my JBLs. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 13

IMO KRK's are cheap, and don't compare to Genelecs or any of the other I mentioned. Also not all pro studio monitors need amps. Look at my JBLs. 

I'll just clear up a couple of things:

1) I just said I'd prefer it for more general home use (especially for someone with a smaller budget and is looking at Audioengines), not real monitoring nor saying they're anywhere near Genelecs. We use a pair of the Rokit 6 as party speakers - our old guitarist got into DJ-ing and he uses them on his computer and monitoring live events (NOT music performances) for his company, then when we're at his home/building's roofdeck we take them up from his home office and rock out to anything from AC/DC to Skrillex. I told him to get the KRKs for all those, but when he first asked me and said "monitoring," the first name out of my mouth was Genelec, and I only redirected him to KRK when he outlined that 1) most of his listening will no longer be our old music, but newer digitally-synthesized music; 2) his actual monitoring was for general audio, not music recording/producing (he has an eSports and event webcasting company); and 3) rocking out at his roofdeck for not a lot of money.

2) Also I said preamps and, in reference not only to your post in isolation but also the OP's concerns (who again is someone looking at Audioengines), that I was saying that most of those you listed have those separate amps on them as opposed to more consumer-friendly active speakers in Master-Slave set-up.

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 13
JBL LSR305 (280$)
Focal Alpha 50 (300$)
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s (300$)

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Audioengine makes a pair of bookshelf speakers that are not powered monitors. Also in the same price range are the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 and 10.2. For the same price as the Diamond 10.1, I would recommend the Focal 705Vs. I got a pair to audition for 30 day home trial. However, if bass is important to you, I would go with the 706Vs for $100 more.

You can find all of these speakers at Music Direct, which is who I dealt with and highly recommend.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 13
  JBL LSR305 (280$)
Focal Alpha 50 (300$)
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s (300$)

Only one of your three prices are correct. (I assume you are listing per pair). 
JBL LSR305
Focal Alpha 50- $600
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s- $350

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 13
  Only one of your three prices are correct. (I assume you are listing per pair). 
JBL LSR305
Focal Alpha 50- $600
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s- $350

Yeah, you're right. Sorry about wrong info. I'm in the same situation as OP & these three speakers were in my list, but now I see that Focals are much more than what I thought. Thanks for your clarification.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 13

Wharedale Diamond 10.1s are known for having a bit of warmth and are a UK brand. You would have to get a separate amp to power them as they are passive speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back