Are any headphone amps built to be used with a separate preamp?
Sep 29, 2004 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

newmanoc

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if I'll get any takers on this, but it never hurts to ask. I am about to upgrade my preamp to a Linn Kairn from a Kolektor. The good news is that while the Kolektor is really good, the Kairn is in an entirely different class (particularly the phono stage). The bad news is that the Kairn does not have a headphone out, so I am going to need a separate headphone amp. What I really want to do is find a headphone amp that is just an amp only, without any preamp built into it. That way I can use my Kairn to control the headphone volume just like my speaker volume. Has anyone ever heard of headphone amp built to be used with a separate preamp, or know anyone of good reputation who has built such a beast?

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 3
newmanoc said:
I don't know if I'll get any takers on this, but it never hurts to ask. I am about to upgrade my preamp to a Linn Kairn from a Kolektor. The good news is that while the Kolektor is really good, the Kairn is in an entirely different class (particularly the phono stage). The bad news is that the Kairn does not have a headphone out, so I am going to need a separate headphone amp. What I really want to do is find a headphone amp that is just an amp only, without any preamp built into it. That way I can use my Kairn to control the headphone volume just like my speaker volume. Has anyone ever heard of headphone amp built to be used with a separate preamp, or know anyone or good reputation who has built such a beast?

Krell used to make one like that but they are rare. Someone on this board had one built like that; kuma I think.

Sep 29, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 3
There aren't that many that I know of but a DIY builder could build one for you I am sure. The one in this pic was a custom job built by HeadAmp, it's just an amp and has no preamp although it has a separate and massive power supply (the big box) but obviously this grandiosity isn't needed (but that sure is cool).

kumagilmore.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back