Are anti-static guns useful?
Jan 27, 2006 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to add some stuff to my vinyl gear. I just bought a Audio Technica stylus cleaner (never cleaned it!) and a bubble level.

Many dealers have recommended me to get a static gun (even if they themselves don't sell any
orphsmile.gif
). May I post a thread here inquiring about your experience with such a thing? The reason gave to me is the vinyl will be quieter due to less static
confused.gif
There is a little to moderate background noise on my vinyl playback depending on the lp.

Other then using the static gun on the vinyl itself do I need to do this on the turntable? How about the catridge? Or must I use a separate catridge demagnitizer (I read this in a book but have no idea what this is
confused.gif
)

I'm using a Goldring 1.2 with the stock Elecktra catridge coupled with Clearaudio Basic Phonostage. Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 7
It's hard to reduce the background noise of records, but it's possible and always worthwhile; the reduction of static helps in two ways: (1) less discharge noises, (2) less attraction of particles by the record.

The best way to achieve this is to (1) clean the record with a record cleaning machine and appropriate fluids (I recommend using Vinyl-Zyme first and L'art Du Son last) and (2) use an anti-static pistol. I have the Milty, which works.

Jan 27, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 7
I use an ion generating "gun" in the winter when humidity is low to neutralize any static charge on records and not have them attract as much dust while being played. If you have ever seen stuff leap onto a charged record you will know the attractive power of static. This is, however, the most "extreme" of my vinyl techniques.

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 7
Have heard bad things about the Milty Zerostat Gun, doesn't it use some kind of liquid which leaves a nasty residue or degrades the vinyl in some way?
I used to have a lot of static when I used a felt matt but since changing to a silicone one the static issue has all but gone, so you could try this if applicable.

Jan 27, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Have heard bad things about the Milty Zerostat Gun, doesn't it use some kind of liquid which leaves a nasty residue or degrades the vinyl in some way?

There is no fluid or other material to leave residue with the zerostat.

Jan 27, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
I was thinking of Milty Permostat

Yup. Most of the simple LP cleaning systems that involve solutions leave residues. I do my deep wet cleaning with a VPI 16.5 whose extraction system seems to get all the crud and cleaning solution back off. For the occasional dusting, I still use a clean Discwasher with just enough condensed breath to humidify the record surface. I try to keep 0.1% alcohol in my breath each evening to facilitate this LP cleaning process.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back