Are all of these "audio lies" generally true?
Sep 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you stop that gestalt crap! It's a slippery slope, I tells yeh: one minute you're dwelling in the holistic unity of the sensory, aesthetic, cerebral experience, and the next you're exemplifying some sort of zeitgeist, and the sense of empowerment makes you feel like an ubermensch, and you're not gonna stand for the b.s., so you practice a little realpolitik to acquire a bit more lebensraum, but then everybody sees that you're unheimlich, so you find yourself thrust out from the Gemeinschaft in a scene so harsh, it's like a Gotterdammerung--aufhebung until you're totally wrecca. And then you'll be sorry, just like your mother always told you.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Man, I can't find an adequate smiley for that one!

Thanks!

se

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #47 of 58
I have read that article several times through out the years. I am amazed that even if I do agree with the article I love gadgets!
Earphones do matter though,
amplifiers? sure!
DAC's? don't know enough to have an opinion.
Cables? nay
Stax? yeay!

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #48 of 58
So what I got from the article is that everything is the same as everything else in every respect. Balanced audio is a hoax, electrostatics are just normal speakers in a cheap disguise, and nobody could distinguish between a high quality vinyl album and a duke nukem midi file in a real double blind test.

"The reason why certain analog recordings sound better than certain digital recordings is that the engineers did a better job with microphone placement, levels, balance, and equalization, or that the recording venue was acoustically superior."

That's right Bobby, the reason your 64kbps mp3 sounds different than its analog original is because of microphone placement.

"Anyone without actual hearing impairment hear what they hear,"

Again, won't a middleschool audiologist say otherwise?

"Your audio circuits don’t know, and don’t care, what’s on the ac side of the power transformer. All they’re interested in is the dc voltages they need."

Bobby, the reason your amp buzzes when you turn on the microwave is because you're stupid. It's all in your head.

"Think about it. Does your car care about the hose you filled the tank with?"

No but it probably cares about the presence of a fuel filter. I can make analogies too!

I hate oversimplifications.

*spite edit* So if I give you the choice between steak A, prepared normally, and steak B, which has been dropped on the floor but cleaned off really well - so well that you ~certainly~ can't taste the difference - for half price, which will you choose? Some people pay for peace of mind. Some people collect stamps. Meh.

*spite edit 2* *NO* information is lost in the audible range with a 44.1kHz sample rate? Ignoring that fact that some people hear over 20kHz, you're telling me that a 44.1kHz 1 bit digital encoding resulted in no information loss? You're a loon. 16 bits? -32768 to 32767? It might not be [consciously] perceptible, but it's fundamentally information loss. Continuous -> Discrete. Loss. Furthermore I didn't see any mention of DAC quality - with digital you're shifting the burden of analog signal production from original source to DAC - am I to believe a two cent budget DAC produces perfect sound? No, you'd be an idiot to. Thus, other factors have to be considered with all of these arguments, and that is my point. Because of flaws like this the article is completely worthless (see what I did there?).

For example I laughed when I got to the cd coating part. At first read I couldn't believe people would actually think coating digital discs with anything would change the sound. Then I thought about what else it might do. A protective coating could very well make the digital data more durable, possibly preventing data loss, thus skipping, and thus effective sound quality.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The reason why certain analog recordings sound better than certain digital recordings is that the engineers did a better job with microphone placement, levels, balance, and equalization, or that the recording venue was acoustically superior."

For those curious to hear a true analog versus digital comparison, they should listen to the Performance Recordings albums: "Boyk Plays Mussorgsky". The all-analog LP and all-digital CD are recordings of the exact same concert taken from the same microphones.

Pianist James Boyk's Albums and Book

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #50 of 58
I've only found one good reason to spend more money on cables. Locking RCAs. Being able to know they loosen and tighten up after having a (cheap - $10) Monster cable destroy an RCA plug has left me weary at times. On the other hand Monoprice is so cheap and I've never had an issue with them so I doubt I'll go back to the other.

As for digital vs. analog, it depends on mastering most.

Otherwise this article is rather accurate.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you stop that gestalt crap! It's a slippery slope, I tells yeh: one minute you're dwelling in the holistic unity of the sensory, aesthetic, cerebral experience, and the next you're exemplifying some sort of zeitgeist, and the sense of empowerment makes you feel like an ubermensch, and you're not gonna stand for the b.s., so you practice a little realpolitik to acquire a bit more lebensraum, but then everybody sees that you're unheimlich, so you find yourself thrust out from the Gemeinschaft in a scene so harsh, it's like a Gotterdammerung--aufhebung until you're totally wrecca. And then you'll be sorry, just like your mother always told you.

Please don't insult my use of anglicized german words, or I will experience schadenfreude when misfortune befalls you.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #53 of 58
Nice article. I pretty much abandoned high priced interconnects and power cords after doing my own comparisons. I found no difference between a $200 pair of RCAs and a pair of Blue Jean Cables. I found no difference between a $175 Digital Coaxial and a $40 cord I bought from DIY Gene on Ebay. Don't even get me started on power cords, I just make sure they are at least 14 gauge and keep it moving.

He is dead wrong about tubes and vinyl though. Tubes have always been about preference. Some like them, and some don't. Same thing with vinyl. I love tubes and hate vinyl (I don't think the sound is worth the hassle and expense). His article makes it seem as if it all sounds the same which of course is stupid.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is dead wrong about tubes and vinyl though. Tubes have always been about preference. Some like them, and some don't. Same thing with vinyl. I love tubes and hate vinyl (I don't think the sound is worth the hassle and expense). His article makes it seem as if it all sounds the same which of course is stupid.

YOU LIE!
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, he does not even remotely suggest that tubes sound the same as solid state (he doesn't even suggest that all solid state sounds the same). He merely states that solid state is technically superior. You may like tubes better, but that's because you like the distortion they provide. He clearly accounts for that possibility.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But seriously, he does not even remotely suggest that tubes sound the same as solid state (he doesn't even suggest that all solid state sounds the same).

Well, he has said in 1993: "We still get letters asking why I do not discuss the sound of the equipment in my reviews. I do not know how The Audio Critic can be any clearer on this issue. If a piece of electronics has flat frequency response, vanishingly small static and dynamic nonlinearities, a high enough input impedance and low enough output impedance, a noise level below audibility, and high enough channel separation, then it is not going to have a sound." So essentially, if components meet these criteria under actual use conditions, then by his definition they will sound the same because he believes they will have no sound of their own.
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He merely states that solid state is technically superior. You may like tubes better, but that's because you like the distortion they provide.

As I've mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, tubes aren't intrinsically higher distortion. A single triode operated into a high impedance load is a lower distortion voltage amplifier than a single transistor, when both are compared on their own without feedback. Transistors need to be used in multiples and/or with feedback to attain similarly low measured distortion.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reliability is another issue I take. Hard wired, point-to-poin circuits are the best there are. Period. I have a ca. 1926 radio that has held up all these years. Mos of the original wiring is fine, even 83 years on. PCBs, on the other hand, can turn ugly with years of use and heat. If you lift a trace or scorch the board, have fun fixing that. Drillin holesand running jumpers isn't much fun. If enough of the board is fried, you'll end up going point-to-point to repair it, anyway. And think about it - real wires versus paper-thin traces. Which is going to hold up in the long term? And which is easier to repair? I can yank a bad wire and replace it in 5-10 minutes point-to-point. A bad trace can take hours to get to, assuming it can be repaired at all.

I have never thought about this topic from this perspective. In a way it makes a tonne of sense but I'd still prefer a pcb over p2p at least for the journey to Aus. You can get a higher level of complexity per cubed cm but then again, this means when something goes wrong, you are kind of stuffed whereas as you stated, p2p can be easy to fix.

I have some thinking to do lol. I won't jokingly instantly raise my nose at p2p wired amps
tongue.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #58 of 58
I'm not,NO WAY in my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back