Are all iPods created equal?
Apr 3, 2006 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RockysDad

Head-Fier
Newbie here.. I'm looking into getting a used iPod (no Shuffles) and was wondering if the older generation ones sound the same vs. the newer versions? Are there any particular model numbers to say away from? Any models that more sensitive to vibration and dropping? Can the older versions have their firmware updated? Is this a good idea or should I just spend the bucks on a new one? All I am interested in is that it has to play quality music. No video needed.

TIA...

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockysDad
Newbie here.. I'm looking into getting a used iPod (no Shuffles) and was wondering if the older generation ones sound the same vs. the newer versions? Are there any particular model numbers to say away from? Any models that more sensitive to vibration and dropping? Can the older versions have their firmware updated? Is this a good idea or should I just spend the bucks on a new one? All I am interested in is that it has to play quality music. No video needed.

TIA...

Most of the older iPods have audio problems. The noise of the HD spinning in the headphones is quite common, and most are really rolled off in the bass. The 4G Photo even has a terrible audio defect that really hindered my enjoyment. Nasty static in certain midrange frequencies. The 5G and nano don't have these problems, and sound fantastic. I don't use mine for video, but they are well worth the price.

The Nano is probably the most resistant to shock or drop though... it is based on flash memory. All of them scratch easy.

Apr 3, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Statistically, the one you should stay away from is the 4G non-Photo 40 GB. The hard drive on that one is especially unreliable. All the other ones are fine.

SQ wise, the 1st and 2nd gen ones have have poor audio performance, and hard drive noise can occasionally be heard through the headphone jack. 3rd and 4th gen don't suffer from the hard drive noise (if they do, I haven't noticed), but have mild bass roll off with lower impedance headphones. This is not as big of a deal as many make it out to be, and easily solvable with a 75 ohm adaptor. The Mini has significant bass roll off, and shouldn't be bought from a SQ perspective. The 5G, Nano, and Shuffle are tops in the SQ department, but may not be worth the extra 70-100 dollar premium, especially if you're going to use an amp.

I own a 4G Photo and I have not personally heard anything that sounds remotely like the nasty static in the midrange that Mercuttio is describing, and have never heard of that happening before. My guesses would be that it's either due to a defective iPod, volume normalized clipped MP3s, or soft clipping.

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Hmm, I've owned a 4th gen 40gig non-photo since the day they came out (some 20 months ago) and I have had zero problems with it. No hard drive noise, and the battery still holds a full charge. I replaced it today with a 60gig ipod video, but only because I needed the extra space.

Edit: The 4th gen does suffer from rolled off bass though, something to keep in mind.

Edit2: Holy cow, the headphone output of the 5th gen sounds loads better than the 4th gen! I haven't tried the line out yet, but I will shortly.

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 9
I have a 30 gig 3g, a 60 gig 4g photo and two 60 gig 5g videos... The only sound quality difference between them is in the headphone output. The 3g requires a headphone amp if I'm going to use my big Senn headphones. My portable Senns work fine on all of them. The line out is all pretty much the same. No hard drive noise or static in any of my iPods. If there was, I'd take it back for a replacement.

See ya
Steve

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Here is another newbie question... How do you tell the different generations? Is it in the part number and/or is it printed anywhere on the case that could be verified if I were to buy a used one?

The rolled off bass is starting to worry me. I like a solid bass sound without the bloat like you get with the mega-bass feature. Do the Nanos have this problem too? If not, then the Nanos are starting to look like the way to go...

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 9
i thought the nano isn't as good as the shuffle or 5G in sound quality, someone stated in another thread

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockysDad
Here is another newbie question... How do you tell the different generations? Is it in the part number and/or is it printed anywhere on the case that could be verified if I were to buy a used one?

The rolled off bass is starting to worry me. I like a solid bass sound without the bloat like you get with the mega-bass feature. Do the Nanos have this problem too? If not, then the Nanos are starting to look like the way to go...

http://ipodlinux.org/Generations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back