Are all headphones the same? (Reply to this please.)
Mar 27, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

The headphones on the otherhand both just give out sound, and the difference in quality is only as good as the source and even then I doubt you'd not THAT MUCH difference between a decent £30 set and a £100set.

I once met a guy that was trying to convince me that basically all girls are the same.A few slits, that's it.
Some guys do appreciate differences, some don't.
Who cares ............

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
Your friend is correct. All headphones are the same in function. The variability comes in their ability to fulfill the function.

I think every pair headphones do fulfill their function to the maximum. With the quality they're made in, they have a larger range of potential (better quality, better reproduction of the sound), rather than their variablility to fulfill their function.

And not all headphones do have the same function. Some may be used for different types of music as well as IEM's vs standard earbuds. Isolation is something normal earbuds aren't meant to have.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke
The headphones on the otherhand both just give out sound, and the difference in quality is only as good as the source and even then I doubt you'd not THAT MUCH difference between a decent £30 set and a £100set.

For me using low end headphone's like using 2 full range drivers in your car system. They can produce whatever you feed them. But they are cogested and cant produce everything at a time. Specially when it's going to produce bass.

While if you put a subwoofer with an extra set of tweeter will definately change its performance you can say it's day and night difference. Because subwoofer is doing it's own job by producing bass and full range driver is getting more breath to produce better mids while tweeters are handling crisp highs.

For me, my A500 and A900LTD is doing the same job. For me it's hard to believe that only two drivers producing so much sound and doesnt showing any sign that they are congested and handling all frequency smoothly at same time.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #20 of 22
There are those who listen to their headphones with a subwoofer to add the "feel." This seems like a good idea. nsjong, we're debating apples and oranges. All headphones are meant to shoot sound into our ears that sounds like the stuff recorded in the first place. Some phones are excellent at preventing other sounds from interfering with that. Others are very good at bass, treble, whatever. Some sound "audiophile" with a good headamp, others sound great with a portable. But they are all trying to send sound into our ears we can enjoy. Right?

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #21 of 22
as far a headphone performance goes they are limited to whatever is feeding them.... they can go up to that level. so for example, ipod earbuds are made to give you about the same quality as that which can be produced by the ipod-maybe a little less- on the other hand other headphones are made to go much higher and can with the right equipment. at a meet i tried the L3K, a headphone made for ultra expensive rigs on my mid-fi computer rig, it sounded great but i knew i wasn't getting all that it could produce-it sounded better on the Dynahi+Benchmark combo. on the other hand, my PX100 (which are made for portable players) didn't really produce that much of an improvement when powered by the dynahi when compared to my system.
They do sound different as well, headphone manufacturers built in specific sound signitures into their products that tend to carry over to other rigs: so, for example, the L3K sounds/performs better, but not different when powered by a good amplifier.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

HOWEVER.... Its completely possible that someone could hear them all the same It comes down too what that individual perceives.

absolutely , this is a thing many (of us ?) should take in account .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back