Are all bluetooth headphones hissy now? (noise floor)
Feb 25, 2018 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jerrod

Head-Fier
not sure why, but on my bose sound link bluetooth headphones and my sennheiser 4.4, whenever the audio is about to play there is a hiss in the back ground. Like you can tell when the headphones receive audio signal and then they activate and there is a constant hiss. I'm using a samsung galaxy s8, but they hiss the same way on my old motorolla phone.

like when i connect them, the hiss starts, then the voice says 'connected' and then the hiss stops.

when i play music, the hiss starts and the music plays on top of the hiss, and then when the music stops the hiss hisses for a couple seconds and then stops.

is this just how bluetooth is right now? If so I guess i'll just go back to wired. So glad I went with samsung instead of iphone lol

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi Jerrod,

Just out of curiousity, what is your source quality, as in did you encode your music files at the highest quality?

Also, what volume do you listen at, as your phone's amplifier, whether the file quality is good or not, though if good, less so, won't necessarily make a 'clean' sound in the first place, eg, no hiss.
Do you notice the hiss at lower volume, if so, then it might be a source quality issue.
Also the player on your phone might not do playback as well as you think.

Just a final thought, how far are you from your phone with headphones on as sometimes the signal may not be strong enough though it would be rare just to hiss, usually cut out instead.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Jerrod,

Just out of curiousity, what is your source quality, as in did you encode your music files at the highest quality?

Also, what volume do you listen at, as your phone's amplifier, whether the file quality is good or not, though if good, less so, won't necessarily make a 'clean' sound in the first place, eg, no hiss.
Do you notice the hiss at lower volume, if so, then it might be a source quality issue.
Also the player on your phone might not do playback as well as you think.

Just a final thought, how far are you from your phone with headphones on as sometimes the signal may not be strong enough though it would be rare just to hiss, usually cut out instead.

I'm using flac music on a galaxy s8, but I get the hiss even when the phone makes system noises or youtube videos and etc.

the hiss is the same regardless of how high the volume on the headphones are.

distance shouldn't be the issue as i get the hiss even when im holding on to the phone.

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi Jerrod,

Not sure as I don't have access to a galaxy s8 to replicate your experience so can't say for certain.

Personally, flac isn't an indication of quality as I've heard more bad files than good but there are good files out there.
However, saying that, your issue is still tricky to diagnose.

Have you tried other bluetooth headphones aside from the ones you mentioned to see whether there is a hiss as well?

Do you know anyone else with a galaxy s8 which you can try to replicate your issue on?

It could all come down to a faulty amp in your phone.

Sorry can't be more help.

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Hi Jerrod,

I just had the exact same experience with the Sennheiser 4.40! Though, I wouldn't describe it as a "high pitch tone", but it strongly resembled the noise a cassette player would make in between tracks. And when a song ends, it would continue for ~5 seconds, and then "click" into silence, with two distinct "pops". I tried them over BT with my laptop, desktop PC, and iphone with the exact same results. But when I connected them with the cable, they sound perfect. I even connected them with a cable to a xiaomi bluetooth-to-headphones adapter, and with it, to the same laptop - and there was absolutely no hiss. I have no doubt that it has to be the DAC or amplifier in the headphones that causes this.

After all, with bluetooth headphones, the entire analog part your audio experience happens only in the headphones themselves. This is an opportunity to make headphones sound excellent, even when connected to some equipment that wasn't designed with audio in mind - the phone you are using really shouldn't matter, as long as it supports the proper bluetooth codec. Too bad bluetooth headphone manufacturers don't seem to take this opportunity very seriously. I think the last time I heard such a loud noise floor was on my old PIII PC, 15+ years ago. Even the crappy headphone adapter they ship with an iphone does a better job! Or the xiaomi bluetooth adapter I picked up in china, for that matter.

I returned the 4.40s and picked up a different brand instead. Though when I was at the store, I was shocked to notice some other headphones making equally horrible noises when not playing anything - the Sony WH-700 were similarly bad, for example, though with a more "digital" tone.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 8
It sounds like you’re describing the bluetooth headphones amp turning on/off. I've used several and some have that noise worse than others but it’s usually there from my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back