Are ad900x or ma900 an upgrade from HD598?
May 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

farfly

Head-Fier
Hi, i already have Hd25,mdr1r and Denon D2000, so i think i have enought closed cans, so im looking to upgrade my Hd598, i listen to all kind of music(usually pop and trance), i need an all rounder(for basshead music i have the closed cans), the sound i like is spacious, forward mids, decent bass(not basslight nor basshead levels) and no sibilance, i am deciding between two headphones:

-Audio Technica AD900X
-Sony MDR MA900

Are these headphones better than hd598 in general or i may save and go for something more expensive?
My budget is about 200$, please if you know more open headphones on that price range advise me.

Thanks and regards

May 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Both are upgrades BUT...

The ad900x has a huge sound stage (gives you the impression of a large auditorium) and very good detail retrieval BUT average imaging. They are very revealing and can be somewhat sibilant on poor recordings.

The MA900, is the better all rounder, it has a smaller but sound stage then the 900x (still big though), but images better. Better bass impact, and less sparkly ona top end. This makes it more forgiving and based on what your looking for probably your better choice.

I personally prefer the ad900x BUT I used it for a lot of vocal (the breathyness they impart on female vocals is amazing), classical and some prog rock/metal.

So go get the Sony lol

May 31, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Don't have the ad900x but the ma900 is beastly. I don't have the hd598 either but I doubt that its a huge upgrade. It seems like the he400, fidelio x1, hd650 (amped) would be more of an upgrade.

The ma900 is nicely balanced and it doesn't really emphasize much.

May 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 11
To my ears the AD900X is not a direct upgrade over the 598. It's just a different sound, a sidegrade. 
In my opinion, save more money to get a real nice upgrade. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 11
i have not heard many of the new headphones but i am going to get a sony mdr ma900 . from what i have read about them they are supposedly light and comfortable and great sounding . they are on ebay for only $174.98 shipped and amazon for $189.99 shipped . the comfort level attracts me as much as the high fidelity .

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Heya,

All are equivalent. You're not upgrading, simply changing preferences. To some, they may say it's an upgrade because they like it better (read: preference). They're not technically better.

At $200, you're not going to upgrade in a technical sense. You can simply try another flavor though, at this price range.

To get a real upgrade, the $300~400 arena is the first step. Even then, a lot of them are just on par with the Denon D2000 in many ways. You already have a nice setup. Sounds like unless you're willing to really drop a mint, you're just looking at different flavors of side grades no matter what here.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 11
I really thought electronic, techno, and trance were weak on the ad900x. And there is bass just not enough for some genres. The soundstage was great, but i got over the headphone in like 4-5 months. Just didnt work for me for my music

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #11 of 11
They are more sidegrades than upgrades. You'd have to step to at least the HD600 for a real upgrade, although that may or may not be as spacious for your tastes. If you really want a huge soundstage, go for the Q701. You will need a good amp to bring out the bass however. The Matrix M-Stage has great synergy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back