Are A900s really supposed to be this NOISY?
Nov 2, 2005 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sporky

Head-Fier
I've had my A900s for almost two years. About a year ago I started noticing that they would make loud creeks and groans whenever I moved my head even slightly. I soon realized that the grey plastic rims on each earcup were rubbing agains the underside of the semi-circular arms that attach them to the wings and support wires. The problem is espescially bad on the left side, and you can actually scuff marks where the plastic has been grinding togather.

Now that I look back, I can remember thinking that something had come loose inside the right earcup a few months after I got them. This was actually the arm and the rim of the earcup getting wedged togather and then snapping free again when I tilted my head from side to side. I didn't notice the problem on the left side at that point, so I assume that the problem has somhow gotten worse over time. Its gotten to the point that its so irritating that I simply can't use them anymore. The fact that the its much worse on the left side makes me think that this is a defect rather than a design flaw. I've never mistreated them in any way, so its definitly not my fault. Does this happen to anyone else? If not, then I guess my only option is to part with them for 4 weeks while they get repaired in Japan.

I might post pictures tomorrow so you can get a better idea of what I mean.

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 6
Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your A900s.

I’ve had the A900 for about two years as well and they don’t make any noise when I move my head; dead silent. I think you should have them repaired because something isn't right. Hopefully, you have another set of cans to hold you over.

Nov 2, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 6
eh... I have KSC35s (the koss clip-ons, not sure of the correct code name), but I'll need to get a 1/4'' adapter to use them with my computer.

Does the crack between the grey plastic rim and the blue metal dome of your earcups look uniform all the way around? I noticed that there's more of a space near the top of mine, which may mean that the pastic is warped. Also, can you try angling your earcups as far as they can go to see if they rub against the arms at some point?

Nov 2, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 6
That certainly doesn't sound like normal to me. I think it's a defect and you should get it repaired or have someone qualified to take a look at it.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
That certainly doesn't sound like normal to me. I think it's a defect and you should get it repaired or have someone qualified to take a look at it.

Yeah I agree with vtec. Mine a900's are dead silent as well, so you must have a defected pair.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Wow, that sounds like a bummer. If you ever consider upgrading, I can tell you that the AD900 doesn't have those semi-circular arms, but only a pivot that connects to the wing support assembly. Also, they don't have those pleather pads!

If you're ever in Japan (I don't know where you are, sorry), you can probably find the AD900 for around the same price you can grab the A900 overseas. Sonically (though I haven't spent much time with the A900), they strike me as being fairly similar headphones.

In the meantime, I hope you can find a fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back