Are 2nd hand headphone amps worth it?
Oct 14, 2022 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

silentraindrop

100+ Head-Fier
For someone who is not chasing perfection(whatever that is), would getting an amp couple years old differ from latest offerings? I use my speakers most of the time and use headphones only when necessary.

As I was researching for amps with pre-out, used THX AAA amps stood out. Is that a good choice if all I am going to use is RCA in/out and SE out? I am concerned with reliability as well as I see many "parts only" units on ebay. Am I better off with new units from SMSL/Topping/Schitt? Any suggestion on basic amps with pre-out I am overlooking?

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 4
You have the standard concerns with buying used, such as the condition of the item, warranty, supporting the manufacturer, things like that. However, your dollar will go a lot farther buying used vs new.

It’s up to you to decide if you’re more comfortable getting a used A level amp vs a new B level amp for the same price. As far as being forced to buy an amp several years old to do this, that’s a non factor, as used amps show up pretty quickly whenever a product is released.

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, I picked up a drop 789. I am okay with buying second hand. I was concerned if 789 had known reliability issues as I saw few broken ones on ebay. I will roll the dice with the price I paid. It's cheap enough to be disposable(it seems that way with no serviceable parts regardless of the price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back