Are $1000 IEMs worth it?
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

NOoneWillknow

New Head-Fier
I've been in this hobby for about a month or two with 4 IEMs. I was looking at $1000+ IEMs, instead I got a phone upgrade and switched to android so that I could AutoEQ, but I still feel like I can get more out of $1000+ IEMs. I currently have quite high end IEMs like the Variations, and the Yanyin Moonlight (2023 version). I've tried 2 IEMs that cost above $1000, which are the UM MEXT and recently the MEZE Rai Penta at my cousin's place. However, I've only tried them for a few minutes to an hour. Not enough time to properly assess them (my ears are very good and I can hear minor details). I will also show my favourite eq preset for my Kinera Freya which i use to the most. Please give me any recommendations and your thoughts if it's actually worth it. Thank you.

Freya EQ.png

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 14
In a short answer — Yes.

Long answer is that it depends. Don't spring for $1K IEMs right off the bat, try to understand your preferences and preferred sound signature before going upwards, because there are a lot of subjective tunings out there. Some may be "worth it" more than others to you.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 14
If you're completely happy around that price range, then there's no strong reason to move up. But they do improve--not just better technicalities but bass texture, dynamics, treble extension, coherence, etc.

Taking Kinera as an example, the Nanna is a clear step up over the Norn in most respects. More air, grander soundstage, significantly better bass texture, more precise imaging, smoother overall presentation but with a ton of detail. But as a matter of preference, the Norn is probably more exciting for many... more impactful bass, energetic highs, etc.

If you're EQing the Freya to preference and use that more than pricier iems, maybe that's part of your answer.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #4 of 14
For me, $1000 is the value sweet spot for IEMs, but you gotta audition to make sure you're not blowing your money. There's a lot of crap in that price category too.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 14
YMMV. Lots of IEMs in the 1K and up dept. are more specialized tuning than all-rounder. It's where one man's crap is another man's treasure matter significantly

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 14
BTW, it took me 3 weeks of none stop adjusting the EQ preset in squiglink to find the perfect sound to me. Now I just realised that I just had to scroll through the models to Aroma Jewel and it's practically the same with a boost at 10khz by 4db. :face_palm:

I love this sound signature, however 5k is too much.

I guess i know now what to save up for.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 14
I've been in this hobby for about a month or two with 4 IEMs. I was looking at $1000+ IEMs, instead I got a phone upgrade and switched to android so that I could AutoEQ, but I still feel like I can get more out of $1000+ IEMs. I currently have quite high end IEMs like the Variations, and the Yanyin Moonlight (2023 version). I've tried 2 IEMs that cost above $1000, which are the UM MEXT and recently the MEZE Rai Penta at my cousin's place. However, I've only tried them for a few minutes to an hour. Not enough time to properly assess them (my ears are very good and I can hear minor details). I will also show my favourite eq preset for my Kinera Freya which i use to the most. Please give me any recommendations and your thoughts if it's actually worth it. Thank you.

Freya EQ.png
It depends. The diminishing returns kick in hard above 200eu in my opinion, and a well tuned iem of 200 can definitely be preferable to 1k+ sounding iems.
But sound is not everything, fitment, warranties, build quality etc etc all have a price.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 14
I would say they are worth it. Well at least some of them are. I own a few iems above 1K and I love them. But that said I can just be as happy with some great 200-300 iems. Just as CheekerBreeker here above mentioned it really depends on the whole package.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 14
I have the Moondrop Kato, Blessing 3, and Variations and had many others like the IE600. The law of diminishing returns goes crazy after $90 with IEM's. I really like the Kato and even the Starfield are really good value for the money. They just get 5-10 percent better but the price doubles after that. I've had several $2,000 headphones I would never buy for myself because they're a ripoff. IEM's are no different. The tuning is different, but value gets punishing after a certain price.

Mar 21, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 14
I have the Moondrop Kato, Blessing 3, and Variations and had many others like the IE600. The law of diminishing returns goes crazy after $90 with IEM's. I really like the Kato and even the Starfield are really good value for the money. They just get 5-10 percent better but the price doubles after that. I've had several $2,000 headphones I would never buy for myself because they're a ripoff. IEM's are no different. The tuning is different, but value gets punishing after a certain price.
Well I think its those last few percents that is so important for a lot of people. You just really need to ask yourself if its worth it.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #11 of 14
I asked one of my friends who got me into the hobby to borrow his Kinera nanna x z. I will be using it for a week or so, then if I feel like it's worth it for me then i'll buy a $1000 IEM.

Thanks for all the thoughts and view points on the subject. I learned a lot, like how preference might be better than higher priced iems. :)

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 14
I asked one of my friends who got me into the hobby to borrow his Kinera nanna x z. I will be using it for a week or so, then if I feel like it's worth it for me then i'll buy a $1000 IEM.

Thanks for all the thoughts and view points on the subject. I learned a lot, like how preference might be better than higher priced iems. :)

If you like it, just wait for one to come up on the used market. Nanna 2 is $500 or less second hand. Not sure about the Z tune version.

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 14

Freya EQ.png
Yes, depending on the IEM and depending what you're comparing them to. There's some very good IEMs under $100

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #14 of 14
I've come to my final decision and already got it yesterday. I bought the Kinera Nanna x Z for about 760 eur (I got it -90 eur off).

It's a good upgrade from the freya. The first thing i noticed was the sub-bass :) and slightly more treble :frowning2: from the nanna compared to the freya. at first, i didn't quite like the treble, was a bit fatiguing because i'm quite sensitive around 13k. Took me 2-3 days to get used to it. The upper mids wasn't as forward as I would like it but still nice, I like my upper mids with extra 2 to 4db. (that's why i love freya's upper mids so much + treble). After the week-ish with the nanna z, it's definitely something I really enjoy more than the moonlight. Soundstage is mid, imaging is good on the nanna. Overall, i'd rate it 8.5/10, loses 1 and a half points because it's treble not as nice on the freya and could be more spacious.

Found my sweet spot = $700 - $1000

If i had to rate my best to worst, Nanna and variation (8.5/10), Freya (8/10, moonlight 2023 ver. (7.3/10), wan'er (6/10), cheap thing that came with my vivo x80 pro (4/10), freebie apple buds (3.5/10)

+ my friend from across the world is getting me orchestra lite. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back