Arctic Monkeys...is it too much, too soon?
Feb 24, 2006 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
OK, I'll be the first to admit that I have been burned SEVERAL times by the UK hype machine...but those first-time discoveries of the Smiths, the Stone Roses, and Oasis were such incredible experiences that here it is 2006, and I'm still looking overseas to be blown away every once in a while.

Latest entry...Arctic Monkeys. I just picked this up on it's US release date February 21st, and I must say, I'm really enjoying it. I hear The Jam, Oasis, a little Buzzcocks, some Franz and the Strokes, but really nothing too obvious.

There's the rub...I think I'm liking it too much, too soon. Some of my all-time fave albums are the "growers", you all know them: several spins later, they won't leave you. The Arctic Monkeys debut captured me after one spin, now will it last...

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 19
Ah... dude... that is the worst. It's like the finger of death sitting on your shoulder, just waiting to turn the beautiful shiny disk into a frisbee.

I don't really know what to say about it. I haven't had much time with the album myself. To be honest I wasn't blown away. However I guess if it means anything to you, most of the albums that ever blew me away right from the first listen remained golden goodness. Those that didn't I can fully attribute to myself, by playing it too much, too often, like a bad radio station.

Just remember, the albums that grow on you typically have the staying power because of their depth and the feelings they evoke - you get to know albums like these like an old friend. The ones that nab you right away are like your after-work friends. After you've gotten to know them, you may find them lacking here and there, but can recognize the qualities of having a few drinks with them on a wild Friday night!
eggosmile.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 19
I personally think it is a very poor album.

Melody lines aren't all that, don't like the lyrics, and the rhythm aren't anything special.

Sorry to ruin your party though.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 19
I like it, but it will grow old very soon, I can these sorts of thing you know.
tongue.gif
They are definitely nothing to get hyped up about. They sound like the same Brit music that has been comimg out for a number of years.

Feb 25, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #5 of 19
Twice this week I had the CD in my hand and both times I decided not to get it. Something about it tells me to wait.

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
I like it, but it will grow old very soon, I can these sorts of thing you know.
tongue.gif
They are definitely nothing to get hyped up about. They sound like the same Brit music that has been comimg out for a number of years.

Yeah thats what I think aswell. I find lacking with a lot of these bands is theres no real amazing muscians in them. Competent yes, but no further. Maybe I'm getting old.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 19
fairly uninteresting band. not my cup of tea, i suppose.

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 19
I went through the whole album today. To be honest it wasnt as good as I was hoping it to be, with all the hype and all. There wasnt a single song that stood out imo.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 19
Here is my updated take on this album...it's good for a passing listen. It's not like this is some life-changing listen...it is what it is...I really believe that it is gonna be one of those albums pretty quickly forgotten in a little time, but I'm enjoying it for now. Of course, there are several discs gathering major dust in my collection by bigger bands that at the time I expected far more from. Such is music fandom...

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 19
I agree with pretty much what everyone has said here, it's a good album, but nothing groundbreaking, and they've really been overhyped.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 19
I have to politely disagree with most of the reviews in this thread. This album is amazing, it's definitely one of the best albums of the year if not the best. It's oringinal with great lyrics and hooks.

I would you have thought that being hooked after one listening would be a positive. It means that the music is not only well crafted but it's catchy. I have been listening to this album for over a month and really like it.

I guess each to their own, but I believe that this is the first band in a very long time that has lived up to the hype.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back