Archos XS200 trouble
Feb 26, 2005 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dawn

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!
I'm new here, been reading a while, both headphone and portable section, like the forum!
smily_headphones1.gif

I just recieved my first portable mp3-player, the xs-200. after a lot of thinking and reading i chose this one for a couple of reasons: size, space, price, will show as mass device and got decent reviews on sound, too.

Now I encountered a major problem after the first hour of playing around with it.
On archos.com, there are NO FAQ for the xs200 and they don't have a forum!!!

here's the problem: after loading new tracks onto the device, they are shown there and I can play all the files. But for use of the "ArchLibrary", you need to do an update of the library directly after putting new files on the player, it should then read the ID3 tags and add the info to the library so you can search by artist, genre, year etc...
When i had only 50 tracks on it, that worked fine. But then I put another 300 or so tracks on it (all perfectly tagged) and tried the Library update, the player started to scan the files and then shut itself down. (It's not low on power)
It will do that again and again, sometimes scanning the first 100 files and sometimes it won't even start to scan but just turn itself off. I can restart the player fine, but when I try to choose by artist or genre, it immediately turns itself off. Choosing directly by file-browsing works fine and it plays all the tracks, too. Just the library seems broken....is this a hard/software bug? anybody had similar problems?
I'll call the support on monday and maybe send the thing in, but if anyone has ideas as to what this could mean I'd be greatful!

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 8
are there any firmware updates for the player?

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Is your xs200 plugged in when you update? if not, that might do it. i have not had this problem, so it may be your unit. sorry to hear about this, since this is a good player. good luck

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 8
I am almost positive that I read that brand new units need to have a firmware update done to them immediately. The units should have shipped witht the newer firmware but Archos didn't do this for some reason. Check for new firmware!

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, that sounds like a problem with the original firmware. Goto their website click on downloads->software and then get the 1.02.0 firmware. All you have to do from there is unzip it and throw it on the player turn it on and let it update.

Feb 26, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 8
thanks for the input, but the player was shipped with the latest firmware and it also behaves as described no matter if plugged in or not...
frown.gif

it really looks like a bad unit to me.

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 8
just a quick update, I contacted the support, they told me to run chkdsk to see if the disc had errors, there were none.
then they told me to format in case the ArchLibrary file was damaged. did that, now it's even more screwed-up, when I update the library, it doesn't shut down, but the file-names look like chinese special characters or something...only in library mode, file-mode still works fine. I'm sending it in now, they told me it's gonna take 2-3 weeks, boohoooo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back