Archos tip
Jan 31, 2002 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

citroeniste

100+ Head-Fier
One of the things that annoyed me about my Archos Jukebox was the power adaptor. My AJB is an American (110V) model, and I live in Europe. So, I drove it through a transformer. The bottom of the player, however, got mad hot whenever I charged it. Because I was sick of using the transformer, I bought a "universal" switching power-supply here (works on 110V and 240V, 50 and 60 Hz, and came with all sorts of plug adapters). I thought it might make a difference (I had only charged my AJB 1x in the USA), but it didn't. On 9V (the rated output of the Archos wall-wart) it came out the same. However, lowering the voltage of 7.5V did the trick. It charges just as quickly, but never gets more than mildly warm to the touch. The PS I bought was about 20 euros, or US$18, compared to euro36 for the Archos universal wall-wart.

Moral of the story: chuck your AJB wall-wart and buy something better. Then you won't have to worry about it melting, and will be able to use it all over the world.

Feb 1, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 3
I have an Archos, and that is why I came to this site -- to find a good headphone for it.

Which headphone do you use for your Archos? Since accessing the volume is not simple, I need one that has a volume dial on the headphone cord...

I'm looking for a headphone to use on vacation (airplanes, etc).

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 3
I use mostly Koss KSC-35's with it, although I have also used Sennheiser HD-580's. The Koss KSC-35's or KSC-50's are a better match, because the Senn's really lay bare the artifacts of MP3 encoding.

I don't ever mess with the controls on the AJB, except to turn it on or off. I connect a HeadRoom Total AirHead to the line out and use it to control volume.

Despite its lack of a volume control, I cannot recommend the Koss's more highly for your use.

PS: Do you find your Archos getting really hot when you charge it?

Quote:

Originally posted by VitaMan
I have an Archos, and that is why I came to this site -- to find a good headphone for it.

Which headphone do you use for your Archos? Since accessing the volume is not simple, I need one that has a volume dial on the headphone cord...

I'm looking for a headphone to use on vacation (airplanes, etc).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back