Archos Studio 20GB MP3 Player for $199
Jan 15, 2003 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ClearYourMind

100+ Head-Fier
ARCHOS 500204 Studio 20 MP3 Player & Hard Drive
AHS5002041.GIF

Palm-sized MP3 Player and 20GB hard drive / Up to 20,000 minutes music in MP3 format

The Archos Studio 20 Jukebox combines a portable MP3 Player with a built-in 20 GB hard drive. The hard drive permits transfer and Storage of up to 20,000 minutes of MP3 files (at 128 Kbps), directly from any PC or Macintosh Computer Use as a portable hard drive to store and transfer other computer files - connects to USB port of your computer
  1. Connects via included USB cable (up to 1MB/sec)
  2. Internal Buffer: 2MB
  3. Display: Graphic 8-Line Backlit LCD
  4. S/N Ratio: 90dB
  5. Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
  6. Distortion: <0.1%
  7. Scalability: Downloadable firmware updates
  8. Uses 4 "AA" rechargeable NIMH Batteries or included AC/DC Charger/Adapter
  9. Audio Output permits play through a home or portable Stereo system
  10. Also includes MusicMatch software, stereo Headphones & pouch
  11. Dimensions: 3.2"H x 4.5"W x 1.3"D; weighs 12.3 ounces
  12. 1 year warranty

Where to buy

For $199 with Free Ground Delivery

and

I emailed JandR.com explaining that I found a better price. They was willing to match the $199 price and I'm sure there willing to go a little lower. The price match included ground delivery costs.

This seems like a good portable Mp3 player. After reading alot about MP3 players a quickly reading that I can't afford alot of them. This one stuck out. I seen it in the stores, Its pretty small. By the image alone I expected it to be huge. I plan on buying one myself. My cd burner is no longer working so this seems like a good choice for me. Plus I always wanted a MP3 player. One of my requirments was it has to be able to hold a few gigabytes of music.

For others looking for a MP3 player around this price range, this is worth a look at.

Jan 16, 2003 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Check out CNET.COM for the latest on MP3 products being shown at the Winter CES this past week. There will be a whole new crop of MP3 players and recorders coming by summer 2003. Some will record FM, voice, or line input straight to MP3, MP3 Pro, or WMA format.

Others players will allow display of several gigs of videos. Some of the smallest soon to be introduced with include smaller 1.0-1.5GB hard drives in an MP3 player no larger than a pager.

Even Archos has some new products coming that will record FM, that is why the current line is being deeply discounted.

The target suggested list price for these new players and recorders will start at $199.

Jan 17, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 4
I was enticed by the prices on the Archos as well and I bought the 10G version. I primarily bought it for storage capabilities and I usually keep it hooked up to my PC. I am starting to collect a lot of MP3 files and I don't want them all on my computer's hard drive.

As a storage device the Archos has been fine. I have yet to put it through its paces as a portable player but I have listened to it a bit. I have to say that the sound is pretty weak. I also have an irock 530 with an additional 128 mg card. The irock is perfect for my morning and afternoon commutes as it stores about 3-4 hours of music and it's super small and light weight. Compared to the irock the Archos sound is really lifeless. It might sound better through an amp but I haven't tried yet.

As far as other MP3 players go, I really couldn't say but it's been discussed in these forums that the Nomad sounds better than the Archos and it could be that the better models of Archos will sound better or the next generation will improve. I think if I had to do it all over again I would spend a bit more money and buy another brand.

You could wait for the prices to go down and get more for your money, which will certainly happen, but sometimes we want our toys when we want them! I'd hate to be a computer salesman because I'd have to tell my potential customers that they had better buy the computer today because if they wait until tomorrow the price will go down and they'll get more for their money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back