Archos Jukebox 20 vs Zen
Nov 14, 2003 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

javahut

500+ Head-Fier
Anybody ever compare the Archos with the Zen?

I've got an almost 2 year old Archos Jukebox 20 I'm now using with the Shure E5C phones. The sound is great, with a couple of exceptions...

1) The Archos pretty much does not like files encoded over 192 kbps. I'm using the Rockbox firmware, which makes it a little more compatible, but the player still locks up with very much movement using files over 192. With 192 there are no lockups whatsoever. With the Shure E5Cs I've just started using, I'd kinda like to up the encoding to at least 224. Will the Zen play larger files with no problems?

2) The Archos' 2 Mb buffer results in the HD spinning up frequently, which is slightly audible with the Shure E5Cs when listening to quiet sections of music. Does the Zen have better filtering out of the HD noises?

And most importantly, is the sound quality of the Zen equal to or greater than the Archos? I'm really pleased with the Archos sound quality with the E5s, so wouldn't want to take a hit there. But I would like the Zen's 40G HD, higher bit rate files, and larger buffer. And I know the Zen has more EQ control than the Archos, but hopefully the sound would be good enough to not have to EQ much. Does the Zen's EQ function well and sound good?

I'll probably order the Zen and test it, with the option to return, when I decide to try it. Or just take the E5s and some MP3s to a local store and load it up and compare. Just wanted to know if anyone out there had any insight into this that might help me decide if the Zen is worth trading my Archos in for.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back