Archos av480
Sep 13, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 15
I have the av320... I would not suggest getting the av480.

Here is why:

- The av480 is IMO bigger than the av320 [the av420 is much smaller]
125 x 78 x 26 mm vs. 112 x 82 x 31 mm... I know that technically if you take the volume the av420 is a bit smaller, but to me the 13mm increase in length outweighs the 3-4mm on the other two dimensions. The av420 is the same length, but way thinner and would definately seem smaller than my av320.
- There is no SPDIF out on either of the av4xx models [the av3xx models have SPDIF out]. With the av3xx models you can truthfully say that it records and plays back to any digital or analogue source... you can't really say that with the av4xx models.
- The av4xx models can play MP3, WMA, WAV... but they can only record in WAV. The av3xx can record in either WAV or MP3.
- The av4xx models have macrovision protection, the av3xx models do not.

The only good things about the av480 are true DVD resolution playback [the av3xx only do near DVD resolution playback] and they have a nicer 4-way control instead of the av3xx's joystick. Not worth what you loose IMO.

I think that if you get anything you should get the av380 or an av320 and replace the harddrive [they use normal laptop harddrives]. This is not an option if you buy an av420 as they use the smaller harddrives like the ipod. I'm waiting to find a good deal on an 80gig laptop harddrive for mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want to wait for something really cool I would suggest saving up for the av5xx model. Its due to come out pretty soon and is basically an av4xx with a touch screen and all the functions of a PDA. Once this one comes out I might just have to suck it up and get over the loss of SPDIF and recording features.
There are some rumours about the device here...

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for your informative reply

First of allow me to say what I'll be using it for, I should have been more clear in my vauge initial post. First and formost, to use it as an audio player. I'm kinda picky about it being lossless, so I would rip my cds to WAV. Then, I was planing to use it as a field recorder and record lossless WAV files from an external microphone to be used in various music projects/ect. So, I wouldn't want to be recording in MP3 anyway. And third of coarse to use it as a portable video player for watching dvds and such. I don't actually care all that much about the size of the device, but the av480 is said to have a larger screen. I know this means it's harder to carry arround and heavier, but this isn't a big issue as I'd probably be carrying arround a big set of closed headphones/maybe amp as well. When you compare the prices of the av380 and the av480, I've seen that the av480 is only about 100 dollars more. And it is supposed to have better battery life. this is important because I might record concerts with it and seeing as the hard drive is spinning it will eat up the battery alot quicker. Maybe you can answer one thing I've been looking into, with the av3xx or av4xx would it be possible to have an external ac battery pack that I could just plug it into should I need a larger uninterupted power source? Also, I've had a tough time deciding which would be better for field recording. So considering my needs and such, any further insight as to which would be better?

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayeren
Thanks for your informative reply

No problem
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

First of allow me to say what I'll be using it for, I should have been more clear in my vauge initial post. First and formost, to use it as an audio player. I'm kinda picky about it being lossless, so I would rip my cds to WAV. Then, I was planing to use it as a field recorder and record lossless WAV files from an external microphone to be used in various music projects/ect. So, I wouldn't want to be recording in MP3 anyway.

Good enough, that shouldnt be a problem for you then
wink.gif
Quote:

And third of coarse to use it as a portable video player for watching dvds and such. I don't actually care all that much about the size of the device, but the av480 is said to have a larger screen.

Actually, the av480 has the same size screen as the av3xx series [3.8"]... and the av420 actually has a smaller screen than the av3xx series [3.5"] Quote:

I know this means it's harder to carry arround and heavier, but this isn't a big issue as I'd probably be carrying arround a big set of closed headphones/maybe amp as well.

The av480 is a little bit bulkier size-wize, but it is actually 30g lighter than the av3xx series [320g vs 350g]... and good point about the headphones, I usually have my AKG K271 Studios with me wherever I go.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

When you compare the prices of the av380 and the av480, I've seen that the av480 is only about 100 dollars more.

I dont even really consider the price since the loss of features makes it not work for me and you are not really getting anything extra except for... Quote:

And it is supposed to have better battery life. this is important because I might record concerts with it and seeing as the hard drive is spinning it will eat up the battery alot quicker.

...this. I totally forgot about this, but you are right. It is supposed to have a better battery life.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Maybe you can answer one thing I've been looking into, with the av3xx or av4xx would it be possible to have an external ac battery pack that I could just plug it into should I need a larger uninterupted power source?

As far as external battery packs I have heard of some people making these, but no-one is commercially making them that I know of. One good thing about the av4xx series is that the batteries are easy to swap and you can buy replacements from archos. For the av320's you have to buy replacement from another company and there are screws involved in replacing the battery. I am not a big fan of carrying around extra batteries though... it sort of negates the whole charge and go factor that is a big part of why mp3 players are good. Quote:

Also, I've had a tough time deciding which would be better for field recording. So considering my needs and such, any further insight as to which would be better?

If you are using an external mike then they are both exactly the same for recording audio. If you are recording by hooking the archos device up to the artists gear or a home sound system the av3xx wins hands down. Like I said before it can connect to anything. Also, I think that the av4xx series needs the 'docking station' to connect to most things [definately TV, but maybe for analog too]. The av3xx just uses cables and a small module for a TV connection [which you wont need for your field recording].

All in all I think that if the battery issue is a big deal and you wont have the opportunity to recharge or dont want to bring the power supply with you then you should go with the av4xx. But if you want to save a hundred bucks and have more features get the av3xx
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 15
there's a yahoo group for the av300. the 4xx series is being widely discussed there. you could get a larger external battery pack for the 300 series. (i have one that comes in a bag.) it's likely there is or will be one for the 400 series too. have a look in at the group for better info than i can offer, though.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't know if I explained this properly before, but here goes:

The reason that having no SPDIF out is so bad is that neither the av3xx nor the av4xx have a line out. Since they only have headphone outs if you want to hook them into your stereo and get good sound you need to use the SPDIF. But with the av4xx this is not an option. This was the big deal breaker for me expecially when I found out about the av5xx.
wink.gif

EDIT: earful makes a good suggestion... not sure what the yahoo group is called, but you can find a link to it on www.hotmp3gear.com

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 15
ahh, that makes sense now. well, I don't actually have a nice stereo system other than my studio monitors, and if I have all the music right on my computer anyway (because sometimes I listen to music through my monitors) I don't see the need for a spdif out. but then again, I could be at some happnin' party in the future, and I want to play a song on my archos, but there would be nothing I could do because I have a 480. so yeah I can see it's a tough call. I checked out all the yahoo groups I could find, and I couldn't seem to find any information on making a home made battery pack. again this would be usefull because if I'm recording something really long, I don't want to even open it and change the battery. I looked arround on google with little success, but would you have an idea as to where one would start on one of these? If I could fashion one, I would see no need for the av480 and it would save me money.

thanks alot!

Sep 14, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Not sure myself, but you should follow the link above and go to Hot Mp3 Gear.

The forum linked on that site is the one that earful is talking about and is very informative. You have to register though.

EDIT: found it... here you go:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archosmultimedia/join

Sep 14, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 15
I have the av480 & my partner has the 420. The 480 is thicker (it uses a regular hd) as opposed to the 420 that uses the 1.8" hd). There is an option for a replaceable battery on the 420 but not the 480. Also the screen is slightly larger 3.8 over 3.5. It does not have a line out on the unit but there is a dock that comes with it that has both av in & av out (three lines each). The main reason I got it was for TV/video/dvd recording & at this it is excellent. They both have a cf slot. The sound quality is good & gets very very loud. Not too much in the way of eq, but enough ie treble/bass & bass boost. Still having a b%@#% of a time getting Yahoo TV set up (to record tivo like). but patience will eventually sort that one out no doubt. Have not let it die down on battery yet so cannot comment on battery life.
I owned, for about 5 minutes, the new Creative PMC, but that thing is married to Windows. You need a TV turner etc to get anything onto the unit.
The Archos is a great independent unit that records TV no matter where you are (no pc needed).

Sep 15, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by moi
There is an option for a replaceable battery on the 420 but not the 480.

I didnt know that... in that case there is pretty much no reason to get the av480 over the av380... unless you really need true DVD resolution [to me the near DVD of the av380 looks fine]

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 15
You know I would suggest to the original poster, that if recording etc is your real use, why not get a JB3. Creative make them up to 60 GB & I have seen folk that have popped in hugh hd's. anyway, just a suggestion. Good luck.

btw the AV 420 is $549 plus tax at compusa & I got the AV 480 for $647 (or close) at www.compulus.com. First time buyer there & their service was great.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 15
well, I've decided to go av480, and I'll tell you why.

battery efficiency. The av480 gets an hour or so more on video than the av380 does, and that's enough to do it for me. But I did really debate between the two. For one, I don't really need the spdif. I also don't actually plan to be recording all that much television, probably just a few of my favourite shows from time to time. also the true dvd quality factor is an issue because I have a 52 inch DLP tv, and the defects from the lower quality would be more emphasized.

the av500 does "worry" me, but if that comes out and I *really* want one, I'll just ebay mine RIGHT as it comes out.

thanks for all your replies everyone! I just ordered it. man, that was hard to do.

Sep 15, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 15
You'll be very happy with your choice! I've had my Archos AV480 for about a month now and absolutley love it, I'm really hanging out for the FM remote which has been "coming soon" for weeks now. Because I travel alot, the big bonus for me is the docking station which is great for connecting up to any stereo/tv and being able to control my music/video via the IR remote control. I don't think the AV500 will be out for some time, afterall they'll want to make their money on the AV400 series before releasing the AV500 and you should get plenty of good use out of the AV480 in the meantime.

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

well, I've decided to go av480

Congrats, I'm sure you will love it... Archos makes some great devices
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as the battery life, you will probably find that it is more than an hour more if you are listening to music or recording sound. The screen is what really eats up the batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back