Archos 605
Mar 26, 2008 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

InfiniteZr0

Head-Fier
A friend of mine works at Walmart and can get me the Archos 605 30GB for $250, I think it's a good buy.
Anyone have any opinions on any other portable media players in the same price range?

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 10
keep in mind what you might need to pay for extras.

i bought mine for $239 plus $30 for the mini-dock. the SQ leaves room to be desired, which the AC adapter and tv-out were built in, and i wish the plugins were free.

other than that, it's an amazing player.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 10
Ya, I've heard about the plugins, but I'm not really interested in them other than the web browser, but I'd rather use my laptop for that.
I'm thinking of getting the regular 30GB 605 or the one that comes with the DVR station.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 10
the only difference in the 605 series is the capacities and thereby the thickness.

the DVR is a dock, which must be purchased separately. you can get them refurbished from Archos for $55 now, which I must say is quite a good deal. might look into getting one myself.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 10
I picked up an Archos 504 40G with the DVR Bundle on clearance at Target for $168 last year.

I though the sound was pretty good with my Triple.Fi but felt like something was not right. This week I decided on getting the Sony NWZS616 to see about the sound and oh my god!!!!! I was really missing out. The Sony has a lot of more impact in the sound. You feel like your music finally sounds like is supposed to.

But I still love the Archos. It is really good with the DVR station. I have it hook up to my Dish Network DVR and I can record any show I want and take it with me on the road. Also can't beat it for Pictures. Actually the Archos 504 has the same critically acclaimed screen as the Sony PSP. It is manufactured by Sharp and you can easily buy a PSP replacement LCD screen and swap it out. I have verified this by taking my Archos apart and looking at the Sharp part number.

Something that I don't like on the Archos for music is the manual custom equalizer. This equalizer is the kind that takes some frequency away from one to add to the other. Like for example, lets say that you have the bass just were you want it but not the treble, the way that the archos work, as soon as you get the midtreble and treble slider past a certain line all that it will do is to take away from the bass that you allready had were you wanted it to trick you into thinking you actually have more treble. So I was never happy with the sound it was either have a little bass and no treble or have some treble and no bass. You can actually feel the volume go down as you increase the equalizer bars past the middle and up.

Now the Sony Clear Bass with the Triple.Fi is the most amazing thing. Finally deep pure bass that is mostly missing from most portables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back