Archos 605 Wifi announced...
Jun 14, 2007 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

wgr73

1000+ Head-Fier
I hope it fares well. Looks like a solid product. The capacities are nice!

HERE

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 30
I have a 404 and it is great. If the 504 is any indication, the larger drives will make the 605 HUGE. We'll have to wait and see though.
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 30
Every Archos device I've seen for quite a while supports DivX. Not sure about Xvid, and I have no idea what mkv is.
tongue.gif

The newer Archos models are also setup so that you can purchase and download modules which give support for more codecs.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 30
hope to hell the web experience is better on the 605 wifi than it is on the 604 wifi. Still, the maximum of 160GB is a nice capacity and it looks like they've reduced the size of the unit as well. It's got potential.....hope the reviews give it a thumbs up. If they do, I'll be interested in it if it can come close to the nokia n800 for websurfing ability plus having the added bonus of being a DVR, having lots of space for movies, music, photos, etc... It would make a great all in one if can do everything equally well.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope the sound is good. i've heard some not-so-great things about the gen. 4 sound.

@kikkomang: where did you see it supports those codecs out of the box?

http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5...global&lang=en
Display: High resolution screen, 800x480 pixels, 4.3'' TFT LCD, 16 million colors
Touch screen

Video playback**: MPEG-4(4) (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution)
With optional software plug-ins (available for purchase on www.archos.com):
- Video Podcast plug-in: H.264 up to DVD resolution and AAC
- Cinema Plug-in: MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)

Audio playback**: Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).
With optional software plug-ins (available on www.archos.com):
- AAC5 stereo audio files
- AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files

Jun 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope the sound is good. i've heard some not-so-great things about the gen. 4 sound.

I've been happy with the sound of mine. Doesn't have any glaring flaws, and I am not really expecting it to sound as good as my home rig. Where did you hear negative comments on their sound?

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 30
I'm not really familiar with the Archos stuff, but 160GB of capacity is intriguing!

Is there a line out available on this device? On any Archos device?

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not really familiar with the Archos stuff, but 160GB of capacity is intriguing!

Is there a line out available on this device? On any Archos device?

I believe there is because on my 504 one of the audio output options is line out, another is spdif, but you might have to get the dvr thing, I am really confused myself.

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 30
My only gripes with the x04 series from archos was that (a) sound output was weak without an amp and (b) no really good (audio) codec support. But overall this is a video player NOT a music player. That's just a bonus. I like where Archos is going with this with the DVR and subcription and purchasing of music via wi-fi, but I'd really like to see some more functionality with the wi-fi such as PIM and internet radio and most of all imbedded video on websites to play flawlessly. It's also getting harder and harder to distinguish this from a barebones cheap laptop. Sure it ain't got productivity or any third party software, but compared to the DAPs from 5 years ago, this really is a laptop-replacement entertainemnt wise, amongst other areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back