Archos 504 40GB at woot.com for $204
Jul 9, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
too bad it's the portable dvr station. no tv out.

video code comment retracted

still, not a shabby deal.

Just hoping to help but what do you mean by no tv out? I have the 504 and if you buy a cable from archos/amazon ($10) to play video and audio on the tv, I use it all the time so I don't watch movies on a small screen, but on our big screen tv. The only thing is you have to have to buy the archos cable.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 10
i was under the assumption that you needed the home DVR station to use TV out.

if you don't have to, that's pretty awesome. just out of curiosity, how do you like the sound? also, how is the video support? the info is confusing about it.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was under the assumption that you needed the home DVR station to use TV out.

if you don't have to, that's pretty awesome. just out of curiosity, how do you like the sound? also, how is the video support? the info is confusing about it.

Yes you can tv out actually it is out of the headphone jack, the hold button also functions to put out the tv signal. The sound is fine for me, it hisses some when no volume is going, but if there is music playing I can't hear a hiss. Video support is excellent for me, I strictly use avi which all work perfectly, my only problem is that you have to have mp3 sound, no ac3 audio codecs in video. I'll post a picture tomorrow morning.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 10
nice woot deal even with gen5 releasing later this week. keep the flash video / widgets distractions supressed, if all you need is a decent pmp with dvr functionality. although i don't have the dvr station, i think you would not need the tv-output to record tv... only the tv input. if you want to watch your archos media on tv, then you would need the tv output cable.

Quote:

no ac3 audio codecs in video

you might have already of known this, but ac3 audio playback is potentially possible if you purchase the ac3 plugin from archos -- I think it's $20 or something.

I have the younger sibling - archos 404 - and what I find irritating is that if you atttempt to play an ac3 audio encoded video, a nag screen pops up and doesn't let you view the video with no sound. I guess no one would wanna watch video with no sound anyway...

Here's my beloved archos:
38518499ak6xk5.jpg

I can output to tv with the video cable that came from my gmini 402. Supposively, the gen5's don't have built in tv-output chips.. so after this gen, no more quick $10 fix if you want tv output.

And some quick thoughts about the archos players.. since I've been quite satisfied with mine, I think it deserves a bit more recognition..

+ very well built
+ built in speaker, albeit it sucks but at least its there.. its fun to have actually
+ photo viewer is well implemented - i actually use it
- terrible controls.. impossible to navigate in pocket and dark
+/- screen is large but viewing angle sucks and bleeds in sunlight

AUDIO:
+ multiple otg playlists that you can actually append and save in standard m3u format
+ id3 / file tree nav - can explore while playing music
+ shows a wealth of info on now playing screen - next / prev track, large album art
+ ums or mtp -- it does that rio carbon automatic file update thing
- i have to charge everyday.. and no dedicated ac adapter
- headphone hiss is defintely there

VIDEO:
+ video selection screen is nice, if you highlight the video it actually plays in thumbnail
+ if its compatible, it will playback smoothly - i would say 80% of my video collection plays natively without transencoding
- no support for legacy wmv.. apprently it can play wmv9 but i've never seen one
- colors are a bit washed out.. blacks aren't blacks
- no .srt subtitle support but it is new feature in gen 5

feel free to ask some questions..

~ truffles

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #10 of 10
a lot of wmv videos seem to work fine with my archos gmini 402.

also, did you know that there is some homebrew dev going on with the gmini 402? they've got things like ogg/musepack/wavpack/working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back