ARCHOS 5 Internet Tablet !
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

komi

That one looks interesting ...

ARCHOS 5 Internet Tablet

index_5itb_1.jpg

Not too overpriced aith 32GB SSD ....

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 66
and you have the same issues with the earlier archos models, (im assuming you mean the android version)

the basic model they give you has around 5-6 hours battery life on video, 12-15 on video, the battery pack is recommended, but archos has the habit of designing the addons for the device to make sure they are as uncomftarble as possible to add to it, insted of blending or clicking in, it just like adding a shapeless blob to it, but it does add a standart USB port insted of those annoying propietary cables, heres a lesson for archos, you only get to use own propietary connectors IF YOU OWN THE DAMN MARKET LIKE APPLE DOES, if not, you´re just annoying your possible customers and pushing them to the competition,

but the biggest bone i have to pick with archos is still the fact that they insist on selling you half a player,
you want lossless, that will be 25 dollars,
you want h264, that will be 25 dollars,
you want email and browser, that will be 35 dollars,

you want to buy another player...

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 66
Looks useful for what I want to do with it... Will have to check it.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 66
I like the look, but add the battery pack and a case is worthless. It adds a huge "chin" to the bottom of the player, totally ruining the portability aspect of it. Shame too, as I was interested in this for my video on the go.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 66
I have the Archos 5 (non-android version) and while the SQ is heads above the old Archos 604...it still is not as good as it should be.

Case in point, the SQ of the Archos 5 is not nearly as good as my Sansa Clip (2Gig). I use the Sansa for all my musical purposes, and the Archos 5 for video and web.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 66
I have never heard anything good about the SQ of any archos model. Which is a bummer cause they are one of the last ones still making high capacity PMP

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Optiplex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Archos 5 (non-android version) and while the SQ is heads above the old Archos 604...it still is not as good as it should be.

Case in point, the SQ of the Archos 5 is not nearly as good as my Sansa Clip (2Gig). I use the Sansa for all my musical purposes, and the Archos 5 for video and web.

Even so, how would you rate the web apps? And about the video? Are you also able to read e-books on it and comics?

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 66
As a PMP and a MID, it's pretty nice for the price of $270. Solely as a PMP or a MID, it doesn't quite work since there are other products out there that are better than the Archos 5 in either area.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 66
The high capacity, video playback and web browsing are top notch...no complaints whatsoever. Nice form factor as well.

If, however, you are looking for a device primarily for music playback, there are MUCH better sounding options out there.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 66
I've been researching this device as well. I spent a few hours today reading reviews and watching videos regarding its features. There is little subjective summary save for the screen being a highlight. The Wireless-N, GPS and other features serve as secondary to me so I'm tending to gloss over their significance as I don't have a lot of application.

I'm looking forward to Pocketables or Anything But Ipod doing a review of this one. I think in terms of architecture and infrastructure, its very well equipped with or without price in mind. Where this device could go is simply staggering.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 66
I looked at this device as a possible solution to carrying around heavy text books. Amazon is loaded with customer service horror stories by users here in the US. Their pain has been enough to scare me away from any of the Archos products. Has anyone here had good or bad luck with them? The devices certainly look cool and have options I'm intersted in, just not too excited about having a negative ownership experience.

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 66
I just went and bought the older Archos 5 250 GB without Android, and given the complaints I should have run kicking and screaming into the arms of ipod. I've had the unit for a month and it has performed perfectly, bought the codec packs for video and aac and all is good. I personally find the SQ a bit flat for my tastes with SE530s ; coming from Minidisc; but overall it has been a great purchase. The android OS seems very interesting and hopefully will open up the Archos to alot more options to fully ultilize its capabilities.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by sportster44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just went and bought the older Archos 5 250 GB without Android, and given the complaints I should have run kicking and screaming into the arms of ipod. I've had the unit for a month and it has performed perfectly, bought the codec packs for video and aac and all is good. I personally find the SQ a bit flat for my tastes with SE530s ; coming from Minidisc; but overall it has been a great purchase. The android OS seems very interesting and hopefully will open up the Archos to alot more options to fully ultilize its capabilities.

How is the volume level on the Archos 5, unamped from the HP out? I'd consider getting this if it's better than the previous models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back