Archos 5/7 pinout for LOD
Nov 20, 2009 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any knowledge of the archos 5/7 connector so I could make a LOD for mine since I'm getting into portable listening more now.

Thanks
Andrew

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 29
bump...I know this is not a very popular player but I figure its worth an ask.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #3 of 29
I too would be quite happy to get some sort of line-out for my archos 5. I'm always using one amp or another, and it would be great to get a line out, or even a digital out. The player can do it, but the only stock way is with the dvr dock, which isn't so portable....
As I type, I'm listening to my archos with my new grado sr80's (through a little dot micro) playing a 5000 song playlist full of flac files on random. Tell me another player that can do that!

Dec 14, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 29
Hey,
Any word on getting a custom LOD on the archos 5? I too am in the same situation with amps and looking for an alternative to the dock.

Thanks

skoog
L3000.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 29
I have not tried it yet but I think you can run off the radio accessory. The cable is long, but I think this could work. Will let you know when I receive my amp.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 29
i'm about to dig into the radio remote myself. not sure yet if it provides a pure lineout. at least not out of the jack on the remote. the remote actually boosts the audio volume, so there might be some sort of amp in the remote head. i'm planning on splicing into the cable before the remote and see where that gets me... wish me luck
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 29
Good luck and looking forward to hearing how it goes. Sorry you have to be the guinea pig with the FM access to see if you can get it to work as a line out dock.

I think other than getting a custom one made, which could be expensive, this is the next best alternative.

Skoog
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 29
ok, partial success. I have now figured out left, right, and ground right out of the main connector. now I just need to decide how to tap it. solder new wires right to the pads, or cut into and splice off the cable. will have something done by tomorrow...
o2smile.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 29
Thanks for the update ... looking forward to hearing how it went.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 29
One thing that I have already tested is that it is not a true line out. Which in a way is alright, since the volume can still be controlled from the remote. I keep the player and amp in a courier bag normally anyways, so the remote is what I use when moving around. This hack will still have the audio skipping the stuff in the remote head. No idea yet if it is even skipping the internal amp:
frown.gif

edit..... whats with the angery face? I didn't put it there, and can't remove it....

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 29
Bummer that it is not a true line out ... so does the amp really make a noticeable difference even if the line out is not a true line out?

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 29
Well the deed is done. Definitely not a true line out by any stretch. Still controlled by the internal volume control, and using the internal amp (it can still drive my Grados...). Interesting experiment, but not the desired results. Everything is reversible, but I think I'll keep it this way for now, it works better in the DS case that I use for it, one cable (with the remote) and not having to put a 3.5 to 3.5 to the amp (fiio). So still fine for on the go with the remote, but I was hoping for a true line-out for home use with a 'real' amp...

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 29
Thanks for experimenting and giving the final results. Sorry to hear it is not a line out. But there has to be someone who can custom make a line out for the Archos don't you think. I know someone would be willing to try.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 29
I don't think the issue will be creating a LOD, it seems that the pinout from the unit itself only provides a volume controlled, amped out. Same as the headphone jack... Don't know what other option there would be, other than cracking it open and messing around internally (which I am NOT going to mess with
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back