Archiving Software For 100GB+ Folders
Jun 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CodeToad

100+ Head-Fier
I have about 120 gigs of music files that I'd like to write to dvd discs for backup in case of HDD failure. Is there a program that I can point to a folder and it will automagically split the files into equal disk sized portions and do consecutive burns until the folder is done?

Jun 4, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 9
WinRAR, 7zip or just about any archiving and compression software can break the files up into sizes you want.  I use 7zip, free and simple.  Just doesn't do any burning.

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't mean breaking the FILES up but rather dividing the folders up into 4.7 gig portions to burn to disk.

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 9
Hardlink.exe

http://code.google.com/p/hardlink/downloads/detail?name=HardLink.exe&can=2&q=

Fast, elegant, recommended. That is what I use to make backup copies of my extensive photo collection.

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 9
I'd actually suggest you just get a backup 320gb harddrive or external harddrive.  You can move everything over to it, then unplug it and store it in a safe place if you'd like.  It'd last longer than CDs, and you can update the backup as you feel.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 9
I simply use robocopy on Windows 7 and Vista (you can dl it from MS if you're on XP) to synchronize my music folder on my computer with my backup HD. The command is simple: robocopy <source> <target> /mir . On linux you can use rsync similarly.

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 9
I have a pretty good handle on the backup to a hard drive deal. What I was wondering is if anyone has a utility you can point to a large folder, containing a bunch of smaller folder that contain the music, and have a program split them up evenly over however many dvd's it takes, and burn them until done.

In other words I point the program at the folder and feed the burner discs until it's all done.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 9
And I was saying that burnt DVDs are not a reliable media for backups.  At all.  A small portable harddrive is a more time resistant and reliable medium.

Jun 4, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #9 of 9
I still have files I can pull off backup cd's I made in 1999. I don't have a single hard drive that's made it more than a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back