archive cd collection
Apr 28, 2009 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

erfmd

100+ Head-Fier
I am sure this has been discussed in the past ad nauseum but am looking for current opinions. What is the best most versatile and convenient format to archive my cd collection. I use ibm laptop with vista so obviously have WMC. I have a zune which recognizes only wma files. Purposes for archive include:

1) back-up.
2) convenience
3) ultimate playback off computer.
4) transfer to zune and possibly other devices.

I prefer to only archive my 600 cd collection once and therefore want the highest quality and versatile format.

?wma lossless vs FLAC vs wav?

appreciate all your opinions.

Thanks! Eric.

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 24
I would choose FLAC since it has tons of support and is taggable. You can then batch-convert all your music at once to another format such as lame vbr mp3 which could be used on any mp3 player.

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 24
I'm converting my 500 CDs to flac as we speak. As Punnisher said - excellent support on all platforms, free format, easily convertable to lossy format of your choice. Half size compared to WAV too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 24
What's the best program to convert to FLAC? And then the best program from FLAC to wma lossless? (to get to the zune?) Would there be a downside to converting directly to wma lossless via WMP (to save a step now) and then down the line converting from wma to FLAC if I ever needed to? Thanks again!

Apr 28, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 24
Well if you want to use WMA lossless on your portable, then it might be easiest to go straight to that.

It all depends on what your player supports and what you like to use.

Apr 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 24
There's not really a point in choosing WAV, since the others will be smaller and support more tagging options. I, personally, do not archive any data in a format that is not free and open. I do not want my access to the data to be dependent on proprietary software that may someday become unavailable. That means FLAC is the winner for archiving.

For the Zune, I would just keep a mirror copy of the collection in mp3 format. I don't think you'll be able to fit the whole collection onto a Zune in a lossless format. The whole collection probably will fit as mp3s.

On Windows, people will suggest EAC. Search the forums for a lot of info setting it up. I use RubyRipper on Linux.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 24
Thanks everyone. This has helped a lot. One other question. When using a copying program such as nero, when choosing the back-up cd or copy cd function, does it copy directly without converting so that the copy is indeed as good (the same as) the original? I do appreciate everyone's responses.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 24
EAC -> FLAC imo.
It has great software support (both encoding and decoding), embedded checksums for verifying the content if needed, widely renowned, ...

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Bodger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you convert FLAC to mp3 and retain the tags?

JB

Depends which OS you use.
Like 'smallcaps' I use Max, and am very pleased with it. It use LAME for MP3 encoding...

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Bodger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you convert FLAC to mp3 and retain the tags?

On a Windows system, foobar2000 is very hard to beat for batch conversions. Just install foobar2000, FLAC and LAME and get everything set up right. Hopefully you use foobar2000 already and know how this works...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back