Arcam rPAC - USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
I have an Arcam Alpha 6 CD player. Getting a bit old now, but I can confirm that, generally-speaking, Arcam make some very tasty high-midrange HiFi seperates. They're a manufacturer you can bank on to deliver good gear.

Don't know about this USB item though - as amf123 says, it does appear to be something of a departure from Arcam's normal territory. I hope they're not trying to make a fast buck on a questionable product. That'd be a great shame for a company with such an excellent pedigree.

Is this a new edition/vesion of the  rPAC, say,  RPAC v.2???
Something puzzles me here, because last year I  saw some reviews/impressions on this site and they were not very positive ....
Such a world famous company  ... I can't believe it ...
Am I missing something something here?

JJ

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #17 of 22
I don't know that all the reviews here are negative and it's gotten good feedback from "professional" reviewers. One review here mentions something about the USB power and 500mA but actually many AC wall warts convert current to DC of 500mA or less (like some of the ones used on headphone amps, phono stages, DACS etc). I'll be using it mainly with easy to drive low impedence cans, and when I want more juice, say for my Beyer's, I can take out the Magi, plug in some rca's and see what that does. The Arcam can be either, or both DAC/AMP in one box. Anyway I'm going to try one, it should be better than the stock dell sound card. I'm not expecting night and day but this thing looks like it has the options I want.

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
I don't know that all the reviews here are negative and it's gotten good feedback from "professional" reviewers. One review here mentions something about the USB power and 500mA but actually many AC wall warts convert current to DC of 500mA or less (like some of the ones used on headphone amps, phono stages, DACS etc). I'll be using it mainly with easy to drive low impedence cans, and when I want more juice, say for my Beyer's, I can take out the Magi, plug in some rca's and see what that does. The Arcam can be either, or both DAC/AMP in one box. Anyway I'm going to try one, it should be better than the stock dell sound card. I'm not expecting night and day but this thing looks like it has the options I want.

Thanx a lot. I am also tempted to check it out. We shall see.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #19 of 22
Hiya

Robert from Arcam here, not biased at all (-:

The rPAC will cream your Dell sound card, this is a serious bit of audiophile kit. WE build our products to sound musical over long periods of listening, not to ream your ears out as many competitors do, so that a quick listen impresses. Use a good source and cans and settle in for some pleasure.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers from Cambridge

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 22
Hey StereoGuy - See answers below in thread, you won't regret a test drive - Cheers Robert

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #21 of 22
There is only one version. Some listeners need new ears (-:

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
Hiya

Robert from Arcam here, not biased at all (-:

The rPAC will cream your Dell sound card, this is a serious bit of audiophile kit. WE build our products to sound musical over long periods of listening, not to ream your ears out as many competitors do, so that a quick listen impresses. Use a good source and cans and settle in for some pleasure.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers from Cambridge

Hi,

I like what You said here:

Quote:
WE build our products to sound musical over long periods of listening,
not to ream your ears out as many competitors do, so that a quick listen impresses.

Right now, I'm ordering  the O2 and ODAC as two separates, from  JDS Labs. 
One day, I'll try the rPAC and compare to the formidable O2 with ODAC. - Until then, please hold Your breath. (Ha, ha, ...)

Cheers,

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back