Arcam Output Hum - time for a DAC?
Jul 21, 2003 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I brought my MG Head back online (replaced the fuse with a 5amp resettable. I hate fuses, circuit breakers are FAR superior...) and noticed a low hum, like 60hz. But only when the Arcam is turned on...

time for a DAC?

Jul 21, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd be more inclined to believe it's an MG Head problem - I notice similar things with different sources.. But I think it's some sort of grounding issue mainly the fault of the MG Head - although I don't know for certain. Try the CDP with other amps (or rig a direct connection) - I doubt your Arcam is humming.

-dd3mon

Jul 21, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 6
erm, isn't that a pretty good CDP? Do you have a lot of money for a DAC that will beat it? Why not try a power conditioner first, see if that helps the hum.

Mark

Jul 22, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 6
A lot of money? Not really; it's called DIY...
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 6
I'd be interested to see what a DAC with some typically 'modding equipment' inside. Reclock with a superclock 2 or lc audio x02 - pick out an excellent DAC, use an lc audio zap filter mkII output stage - would be cool to try
biggrin.gif
Too bad I have not the skills to make it work
frown.gif

-dd3mon

Jul 22, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the Arcam CD 72T also, with an EarMaxPro, and with both units turned on with no CD, I can turn the EMP volume up to maximum and hear nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back