Arcam FMJ CD36
Dec 29, 2007 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HiWire

Headphoneus Supremus
I finally got my amp back and running, so I'm going to start posting my impressions of my new CD player. I still have my Panasonic SL-S160 PCDP as a reference, but I'll probably stop making comparisons after a while.

Before I mention anything else though, I noticed the output power is much higher than my Panasonic's - this is logical because of the differences between portable and home players' power supplies and output sections. Anyway, the Arcam sounds much louder at the same level on the volume dial - I'll probably have to turn it down when I listen for longer periods. I've only listened to the first three tracks of Jane Monheit's Taking a Chance on Love on both players so far - I'll listen to a greater variety of music and at greater length when I get back from dinner and the gym tonight. Also, I'll post a pic of my incredibly ghetto audiophile phurniture.

The first things that I am noticing are increased frequency response, improved soundstage, and better flow. Bass was immediately deeper and tighter, and highs are more extended. In terms of soundstage, the perceived space is wider and deeper - also, I can hear accompanying instrumentalists far more clearly now. This is somewhat related to flow - the CD36 makes Jane Monheit's voice more realistic (fuller-bodied, smoother, and more nuanced) while allowing several instruments to stay prominent at the same time. I have noticed that lower-end players have difficulty handling complex arrangements while better players can keep up with a layered sound.

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 4
I've listened to the rest of Monheit's album. There is definitely more attention given to emotional nuance and the accompanying instruments are better balanced against Jane Monheit's voice. In Guns N' Roses' Appetite for Destruction, the guitar and vocals flow along quite well, but the CD36 doesn't get down and dirty or rough-sounding like some other CD players. I'm hoping that it improves in rock performance with burn-in. Rhythm is good, but the Arcam player never loses its polish and poise.

My first CD, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult's 13 Above the Night, fared better. The mixture of goth electro-rock and disco techno-house was irresistible and the densely-mixed lo-fi sound was appropriately funky and swinging. The real eargasm/revelation/epiphany happened with Anna Netrebko's Sempre Libera. The incredible quality of Netrebko's voice and the superb recording of the orchestra and her accompanying vocalists made all my other discs sound like crap. The compelling lyricism, richness, and musicality of the performances (La traviata and Gianni Schicchi) proved that the player earned its money's worth.

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm still in the burn-in phase, so it's probably too early to tell. I don't think the reviewer's Dynaudios were a good match for the Arcam - I would certainly pair them with something a bit warmer. Bass and rhythm are just fine, though, in my system. I don't find the CD36 to be particularly analytical, but it does sound a bit more delicate than other players - music is flowing rather than forceful. The overall sound is full-bodied, but neither forward nor laid-back. I'm assuming that the treble will soften slightly over time or that I'll adjust - it's a totally different listening experience from my portable, with an expanded frequency response and outstanding dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back