Arcam Diva CD73?
Aug 18, 2003 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Snufkin

500+: Audio Dealer: Headphonic (Australia)
http://www.arcam.co.uk/diva/hifi/cd73.html

Thoughts, comments?

Quote:

The Burr Brown DAC used in the earlier models has been replaced by the remarkable WM8740 multi bit sigma delta DAC from Wolfson Microelectronics, which has the lowest noise and distortion figures we have ever seen. This 24-bit, 192kHz capable DAC is also used in Arcam's DVD players and top of the line FMJ AV processor.

Seeing as I was considering the CD72T, would the 73 be a better choice?

Aug 18, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 18
72T is wonderful for its performance at that price range in UK. But in Australia it costs $1,600, which is roughly 660 pounds - way more than the RRP in UK. So dollar for dollar I dont thing it worth that much money.

But sales in Melbourne told me that it will cost somewhere around 1,300 AUD, so Arcam may finally worth the money in Australia.

The new DAC for T73 is also used in T82, maybe you can have an audition for T82 to get a rough picture about the possible sonic signiture of T73

I was shopping for a new CDP just weeks ago and liked 72T very much. But I didn't (still won't) want to pay that much money for it, so I have settled down with Marantz CD-17 mkII KI.

Aug 18, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 18
Dear Snufkin:

I just want to say that I am totally going to support your new shop. The very first one in Australia I believe. Finally we (Australians) have a head-fi shop of our own.

I wish all the best to you.

Planar

Aug 18, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks planar
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm open to suggestions and recommendations - but email them to me rather than post them here, I don't want to get in trouble for commercial posts
wink.gif

I agree about your views on Arcam pricing, I've managed to talk a couple of places down to around the $1400 mark, but I'm still hesitant - if I could get a CD72T for $1200 I'd probably do so without hesitation.

But now there's the CD73 - I'm curios as to whether it really is an "upgraded" (better than) CD72T or just a slightly different model.

Aug 19, 2003 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 18
But 1,400 is still expensive. Plus 73T will be 300 dollar less than the current RRP of 72T. It makes sense to wait another month to see what kind of goodies will Arcan bring with their new CDP.

The DAC inside 72T is old (from digital technologies' point of view), that is why CD73T uses 24/192 DAC from CD82T. Given the success of CD82T, I will call CD73T as an upgrade, rather than replacement.

Aug 19, 2003 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 18
Yep, I'm going to wait for the 73.

It's a shame some stuff is so overpriced here, everyon seems more than happy to put prices up when the $AU is weak, but as soon as it gains a bit of ground noone is interested in changing prices
frown.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 18
I bargained a Rega Planet down to $1200 the other day, have you listened to that one Snufkin? Pretty damn impressive.

I've never heard an Arcam player myself.
frown.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
I bargained a Rega Planet down to $1200 the other day, have you listened to that one Snufkin? Pretty damn impressive.

I've never heard an Arcam player myself.
frown.gif

Yep, had a listen to the Planet, found I preferred the sound of the Arcam that I heard at the same time
smily_headphones1.gif

Planet was a bit laid back, Creek was a little too forward, Arcam was juuust right
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 18
Are you intending to have the player for a long time?

I used to have a NAD c541i which is tonally quite similar to the Arcam, although not as refined. I thought the price difference between them wasn't worth it...

Maybe you could consider the cd82t which, i think, is alot better than either the 72t or NAD. Or maybe you can get the NAD for a year or more.

Aug 19, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 18
73 now, not 72T
wink.gif

I don't intend on upgrading my source again anytime soon either, but I can't really afford the 82.

I can always upgrade later if I want to, the 73 will upgrade to the 82 or 93 .

Aug 19, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #12 of 18
NAD C541i is more colored, less resolution and the timing is less accurate. Otherwise a fine buy for its price.

Arcam is seductive in its way to present the detail of music without over-represent it.

I have auditioned Redgum's CD player. They made fine, controlled sound. Especially in the high frequency. But the look is just way too ugly for me..
frown.gif

Aug 20, 2003 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by planar

Arcam is seductive in its way to present the detail of music without over-represent it.

That's exactly the kind of sound I like.

I agree about the Redgum players.. the specs are intruiging, but they just look icky
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 18
I remember hearing and liking the CD72 (with a pair of Grado RS1) but much preferring the MF A3CR. What I really liked by Arcam was their Diva two-channel amp, with its dedicated analog and digital sections. Tuberoller and Markl, each occupying a side of the same kit -- not a bad choice for stereo music, I thought.

If it would be helpful, I'll have a listen to the CD73 at Sound by Singer over the weekend and offer you my opinion of what I heard.

Aug 21, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 18
I wouldn't call Arcam overpriced. US/UK gear in Australia is overpriced in GENERAL.
frown.gif

One of the few standouts is NAD gear- Australian enjoy even cheaper retail prices than UK retail prices. eg. the 330 pound (UK) C541i/C542 retails for $AU$699- the equivalent of only 280 pounds.

Knowing that the C72T/73 retails for 450 pounds in the UK, paying the equivalent of 650 pounds in Australia isn't much fun.

So in Aus, compared to the C542, with the CD73 you're paying twice more for something that costs only 1/3 more in the UK.

Throw out all the reviews praising it for "value for money" or "best in price class" etc

You'll just have to listen to it yourself.

As for the CD72T vs CD73- the DAC replacement is probably motivated by many factors, not just performance. The Burr-Browns and especially dCS's RingDAC of the CD92 were all high performance / professional class devices. It's hard to say whether that the CD73/93 are superior than the CD72/92.

I'd suspect this applies to the C541i vs C542 too.

Planar:
How much was your CD17 Mk2 KI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back