Arcam CD73T vs Marantz sa7001
Dec 15, 2010 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mcmalden

100+ Head-Fier
At first hand I wanted to buy a DAC for computer-based audio but in the end I decided to buy a cd player. I want to buy a secondhand Arcam CD73T or a secondhand Marantz sa7001 for about 200euros, which is quiet nice. So, which one is the best? I know the Arcam has got terrible chinese mechanisms so I need to spend 100euro on a new laser over 1-2years but there is no reason why the Marantz wouldn't have the same issues.

mcmalden

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 9
go for the DAC
Arcam new rDAC (is a really nice product and you should not have to worry about mechanism.

Another option is MF V-DAC which goes for $300 in the US 

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
go for the DAC
Arcam new rDAC (is a really nice product and you should not have to worry about mechanism.

I thought cd players had better power suplies and op-amps etc.. I can't imagine that the rdac is better than the cd73. Thought the MF m1 DAC seems pretty good. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 9

That depends on the DAC, some are made better and some are made cheap.
You can buy the V-DAC ($300) and add the V-PSU(another $200) later if you find the sound wanting.
I compared my (aging) Arcam Alpha 7SE with the V-DAC and rDAC and both had better clarity and details in complex tracks my CDP could not keep with them making music sound very confuse and tangeled.
Both DAC lack some body/warmth probably due to using cheap PSU (tried them with default PSU).

Of-course they are better DAC ranging in price between the $100 entry level to $1000-$1500 where you will find great DAC as good as any CDP you care to name.
You can even find DAC for $5000 if you can afford them

Qote:
Quote:
go for the DAC

I thought cd players had better power suplies and op-amps etc.. I can't imagine that the rdac is better than the cd73. Thought the MF m1 DAC seems pretty good. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 9
That depends on the CDP. I've seen some of the most pathetic transformers on some entry-level CDPs. If you look up Lampizator, even some late-1990s mid-range Marantz units had coils the size of  a chicken broth cube - about 1 cu in.

Of course, the more you pay, the more you get. Some Cayin CDPs for example have two torroids that are capable of running  tube amps. This is because one is used for the transport and another one for the D/A and analog output, which also uses tubes, which explains why multiple large trannies are needed.
Quote:
Quote:
go for the DAC

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 9
I own a V-dac and CD73 and the V-dac doesnt get anywhere near the same league as the CD73.  The CD73 gives a slightly more macro view of elements within the soundstage following the musical flow well compaired to my Violectric V800 DAC.  The V-dac dissapoints me with its roll off in the high frequency extreme and the bass gets totally lost on all but the most basic low notes.

I would maybe take the time to explore the rDAC.... the USB sounds promising in implementation, just because its not been around long enough to stir up opinions it doesnt mean it should be ruled out.

heres a couple of shots of the suggestions layed out anyhow... the guts of the CD73 and V-dac.... so you can admire where the materials money goes.

(I had no idea people had trouble with the CD73 transport.  For all my thousands of cd`s its only refused to read 1 to my knowledge and has been transported all over the uk and sometimes stored for long periods.  yet ive never sufferd the slightest glitch.  maybe im just lucky?)

Arcam CD73
l19T1.jpg

Music Fidelity V-dac
UHSPa.jpg

note. ive replaced the RCA connectors with a direct wire approach using DNM solid core and bullet plugs.  also tried a host of power supplies and improvements can be made but the analogue output stage is the limiting factor on the V-dac it seems.

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Thank you for your posts,
I read somewhere that the rdac focuses mainly on its usb input. I can't imagine why the rdac would be better than the sa7001 or the CD73. As I said before: I want a cdp not a dedicated dac. Does anyone know how the capacitors change after time?

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 9
So I found a Arcam CD92 that's 7 years old. I offered 215euros but someone overbid me by 10 euros. How much money should I max. offer for this player? At the moment 225euros is all the money that I have got and I need to buy a train ticket for 10euros but I will think of something
biggrin.gif
. This player would be an amazing start in the dedicated source component area I think.
I hope to hear from you.

mcmalden

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I've got an Arcam CD72 that I got in a package deal last night...don't really have a use for it, pm me if you wanna buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back