Arcam CD73 remote (solved)
Aug 16, 2007 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
Solved the problem by using a different remote

Hey guys.

I just did an impulse buy on a second hand Arcam CD73. I called the seller beforehand to get some info about it. He owned it for 1.5 year, but had to get rid of his music stuff. He said the CDP itself is in great condition, but the infra-red signal sender (whatever the little led is called) on the remote doesn't work any more after a drop.

I don't have it here yet, but any suggestions on what I should do? Does it sound like an easy repair, or maybe somebody knows where I can pick up a new remote for cheap?

Thanks for you help

P.S. I found on Google that it's an Arcam CR224 remote control

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 7
Congrats on purchasing a fine cd player! As for the remote...Why don't you try calling Arcam directly and seeing if they can send you a replacement remote. You might have to pay, but I'd think it'd be pretty inexpensive. Good luck.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for your replies. I will see what's wrong with the remote in person first and contact Arcam second. I will report back, cheers.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 7
this might sound weird, but it worked for my NAD integrated amp's remote (saw it on a website somehwere)....worth a shot, as it's free:

1) Remove the batteries.

2) Start at the top left of the remote and push every single button on the remote firmly and in order. If there are any physical switches on the remote, move the switch to the next spot and push all the buttons again....repeat as necessary.

3) Re-install batteries.

My NAD remote just stopped working...couldn't figure it out....saw that tip on a website for a company that sells remote controls and believe it or not, it worked!

Aug 17, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the tip proglife, will try that. I should receive the player tomorrow.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Okay, I have some bad new and very good news.

The bad news is that the remote is definitely broken (the above tip and new batteries don't help).

Not to worry, the good news is much better.

My Philips remote for my stereo set (to which I have one of the analog outs of the Arcam hooked up to) works perfectly with the Arcam. All numbers work, play control buttons (play, pause, stop, next/previous, ffw/rew, repeat) work and on and off work. The only thing that doesn't work is program, but I don't use that at all anyway.

So I'm perfectly happy. I have one remote for controlling two things that I never need to control at the same time.

If I use my stereo I don't use the Arcam.
If I use the Arcam I only need to control volume with the stereo, which doesn't interfere with the Arcam since it doesn't do volume.

Great. I had nothing to worry about. Thanks for your help though.

P.S. The Arcam works 10/10 technically and is in 9/10 cosmetic condition. This was an absolute bargain! I love it already. It works seamlessly with my Cantate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back